X

I Hate the Kat Gas Gauge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate the Kat Gas Gauge

Its been driving me crazy.. When the needle is at the top of the red does that mean that i have a quarter of a tank or does it mean that im empty?

It means you should turn it to reserve and immediately go look for gas. Seriously.

Comment

A gas gauge?
      ....yeah that would be handy...

Comment

I found out my gas gauge is accurate, as soon as the needle hit the red it started to sputter.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

bah, "i once went so far past the E i had the needle break off"

Comment

just be glad you have one. Most sportbikes, and some cruisers dont have any gas gauge at all
            Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

It varies from Kat to Kat... because the resistance in the circuit varies with production batch, the sender, the age of the wiring, the temp and the amount of surface corrosion built up on the connectors.

Simple way to tell:
              Fill it up at the top of red once and see how much gas she'll take. Do it at the bottom of red the next time.

Remember: when you hit reserve, that's when you REALLY need gas... well, a half gallon from then...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When I first got a bike with no gas gauge I thought it was horrible. Then it dawned on me, they're inaccurate anyways, so who cares? Just watch the odometer and know how far you can go on a tank... I have a low fuel light. That's just as functional, when combined with the odometer, than a gas gauge...
                -Steve

Comment

but the gas gauge is just more convinient
                  Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Not sure how accurate mine is, I usually fill up when it is getting close to the red.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I've still got about a gallon and a half when it hits the red. I feel priveledged, though.... My GSXR had no gauge, no light, and a screwed up petcock. I pushed it home several times!
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

My guage hits red at 1/8 of a tank. The lowest I have run mine was just shy of the low end of the red. It was at the ottawa rallie last year when we ended up god knows where out in the boonies (it was worth it tho). When I mentioned needing gas, and they told me the nearest place was like (can't remember how far, but far enough) away, I was scared shitless. The needle was pretty much at empty when we came to a gas station. So now I know how low I can go. FYI...I have no reserve on my kat. Just the guage like a car. I was not sputtering when I arrived and I still had a bit of gas in the tank...maybe a quart.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I fill up once it touches the red. I dont want to find out its accuracy the hard way.

Comment

I can usually run for a while in the red, but it's best to go ahead and fill 'er up. Last time I ran it that low I ran out pulling into the gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                              Not sure how accurate mine is, I usually fill up when it is getting close to the red.
                              Yep. Thats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X