X

question about Amsoil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about Amsoil

I switched to amsoil in my kat 600 and now my engine is noisy after it warms up. I never had that problem before w/ just regular oil. Anybody else have this problem? My bro has a gsx-r750 and we switched his to amsoil the same time I did and his is noisier too. Any ideas?

You know, I think it's due to it being very non-abrasive...but we'll let CyberPoet verify this..

All I can add was that I used it in my Subaru, and it did the same thing...made it louder. I know it's supposed to be good stuff and VERY expensive, but I just was apprehensive about it.

Mobil1 10x4t rules.

Comment

How much does that cost? Where's the best place to get it?

Comment

Where are you located? It's sells at most auto spots here in Oregon (GI Joes, Fred Myers, motorcycle shops, schucks, baxters) I think it goes for like 7-8 bucks a quart

Comment

I'm in ohio. Right at the indiana/ohio state line.

Comment

I've actually had the opposite experience with Amsoil. It quieted down my Nissan Titan. It also quieted the sewing machine sound of the Kat. Not substantially, but some...
            -Steve

Comment

I've never used Amsoil, but the numbers/specs look reasonably good. Aside from that, I really have no comments about it...

KNOW THIS:
              how quiet your engine runs on a new oil is probably most affected by a measure called Low Temperature Cranking Viscosity (ASTM D-5293).

Other tidbits:

Castrol has publically stated that you can use R4 SuperBike 5w50 in place of a 10w40 oil... Meanwhile, they have just released R4 in the UK in new formulations, including a 10w50, and I suspect we'll probably see the same in the US in a short while... Although I use Castrol's GPS, their R4 when I used in the last Kat, really gave a noticable difference in performance compared to any other oils I've tried
              RELATED: Interesting Read: New GPS development field testing -- 100 hours solid on a Honda CBR600RR

Cycle Gear, a national chain of motorcycle accessories stores is on a spree to open new stores. They just opened new stores in Tampa, and Pinellas Park (in my area), and their oil product choices are very broad, including a full line of Motul, Castrol, etc.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man, you just love that Castrol huh?

(and I've tried Motul, and it freakin rocks...I actually think it was a little to advanced for my Kat and the price didn't suit me)

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                  Man, you just love that Castrol huh?

(and I've tried Motul, and it freakin rocks...I actually think it was a little to advanced for my Kat and the price didn't suit me)
                  Over the years, I've tried a lot of different oils. My biggest standard is what it feels like after it's seen the service interval -- just a pinch between my cheek and gum, err... I mean finger and thumb...
                  There are great oils to be had out there, many which give better performance out of the gate than the GPS I use -- but I have yet to find one that feels better (viscosity/slipperiness) after the service interval.

A long, long time ago I took a bunch of metal cans (think the type corn comes in at the grocery store), put different brands of oil in them and then heated them up to 375 - 400 degrees for 6 hours... let them cool off overnight and then compared the remains (both what was on the cans permanently and whatever liquids remained). That's how I decided to start using the "Castrol" brand products in the first place. To be fair, Mobil 1 and a number of other more recent bike oils weren't in the test though...

I did pick up some Motorex 15w50 the other day to check it out in detail. Never seen the brand in the USA before... It's JASO MA and API SG, so it ought to be reasonably good But I'll probably take it back and grab five liters of GPS instead... impulse buy at the new CycleGear shop (duh!)

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X