X

katana runs,but sucks at it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana runs,but sucks at it

I had a problem earlier, not being able to even get my bike to idle. But now it does, it just idles bad, and when I give it throttle/or disengage the choke even just a little it dies, any suggestions or tips, has anyone ran into the same problem, cause I'm getting real frustrated, thanks.

Clean the carbs, swap the plugs, check the air filter to make sure it's clean & intact, drain the gas tank if the gas is over 3 weeks old, check the gas tank for rust, and make sure the choke cable isn't sticking.

Usually this problem occurs on bikes that haven't run often enough or recently enough, and is caused by clogged carbs (either dirt/debris/rust or gummed-up fuel residues).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yes thanks,but i cleaned the carbs, check the choke, and redid my tank, the bike was sitting for two years when I bought it from someone,the problem is when i give it just even a little bit of gas it dies, oh and what grade of fuel is everyone using in there pre 98 kats.

Comment

Originally posted by ray90813
        yes thanks,but i cleaned the carbs, check the choke, and redid my tank, the bike was sitting for two years when I bought it from someone,the problem is when i give it just even a little bit of gas it dies, oh and what grade of fuel is everyone using in there pre 98 kats.
        When you redid the carbs, did you replace the various O-rings? They tend to break and crack, and when they do, the carbs can cause the bike to act this way...

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK, I know this is a lot of reading, but I had a ton of carb problems as well, and it turned out to be the most simplest of things...a damn o-ring that cost me $4.

Basically...

1.Vacuum: Make sure the airbox-carb and carb-engine seals are good to preserve vacuum
          2. Electrical: Make sure your plugs are good
          3. Carb Tuning: on my 93 Katana 600, I used these settings-

-3 turns out on the air/fuel mixture screw
          -stock jets inside/stock exhaust
          -checked all the air/fuel mixture screws had the necessary springs and o-rings underneath
          -checked all the o-rings for the sync ports underneath my carb caps

Once, I got my mixture down (the 3 turns out) I synced and made sure all 4 levels of mercury were the same (or gauges, whatever you decide to buy)

edit: OMG, reading through those old post, I feel like such a n00b. But also, that I've learned a lot in the last couple of months....the fact that I'm NEVER taking my damn Kat to a shop

Comment

i did replace the sync port o ring on the number 4 carb cause I noticed it a little flat, but all the others seem okay, I was thinking maybe it wasn't getting enough fuel somehow, cause when I disengage the choke or engage the throttle it dies. Will an out of sync carb cause it to do this, or will it affect throttle response more. Please help, i really wish I could just start riding already.

Comment

Describe the idle. I know you said it sounds bad, but where is it lingering? 2K? or closer to 1k?

It's sounds as if your mixture is off (mine did the same when lean)

Are these new carbs? What did you set the A/F mixture screw at?

edit: if that bike was sitting for two years, it's gonna read a complete clean out of the carbs, I would also replace the fuel lines/filters.

Comment

I guess the idle is so bad, it doesn't even show up on the rpm tach, I know that works cause i checked that,I set the a/f mixture screw 3 turns, i redid the carbs, checked o-rings, and i replaced the fuel lines, filters okay, i cleaned that out and check the flow of fuel with a vacuum pump, would the float height affect the mixture at idle too, that's one thing I haven't tried to adjust yet.what's the normal idle rpm between 1k and 2k?Maybe I need to turn the idle adjustment in more.

Comment

about 1500 to 1700

Comment

Supreme gas made a huge difference for my Kat. Also i disconected the wires that are on my carbs because i wasn't getting a strong curent running through them and cleaned them out bolted them back up. Worked for me.

Comment

andrehendricken, the wires on your carbs -- I'm guessing you mean the TPS (throttle position sensor). Did you check the sensor placement with a multimeter to make sure that you set it correctly (the correct position yields a specific resistance value range)...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Carb troubles

Related topic:

I just bought an '89 Kat 600 w/ 11000 miles for $800 dollars (NICE) and it has been sitting for 4 years. I am having the same trouble with rough idle. I have since tore the carbs off and found that the pilot jets were clogged, the tubes from the air box were bad, and numerous O-rings were shot. I have so far replaced the plugs and changed the oil. I have a jet kit on the way and the o-rings I need are also on there way. I bought a carb sync kit as well but are there any other things I should look for as well? Maybe this will help Ray out as well.
                        89' Katana 600

Comment

Re: Carb troubles

Originally posted by Cbass
                          Related topic:

I just bought an '89 Kat 600 w/ 11000 miles for $800 dollars (NICE) and it has been sitting for 4 years. I am having the same trouble with rough idle. I have since tore the carbs off and found that the pilot jets were clogged, the tubes from the air box were bad, and numerous O-rings were shot. I have so far replaced the plugs and changed the oil. I have a jet kit on the way and the o-rings I need are also on there way. I bought a carb sync kit as well but are there any other things I should look for as well? Maybe this will help Ray out as well.
                          The biggest issue for you is probably rust in the tank. For how to deal with it, see my webpage: CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, makers of the best motorcycle lock-down anchor on the planet

The other things you need:
                          replace any fuel line component made of rubber or plastic -- this means the fuel lines, the fuel filters, the O-rings, and probably the vacuum diaphram in the petcock.

Make sure you also change your brake fluid and brake lines.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X