X

Replacing the Cylinder Head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Cylinder Head

I have narrowed down all of my mechanical problems over the last 2 weeks of riding. I am running too rich. My main jets are not the proper size, they are too big... my float height has to be adjusted, and my air mixture scewes have to be adjusted. The problem is that I put on the stock exhaust this season and I have gsx-r cams and rockers. I don't want the power, I want the reliability and what better way to achieve that than stock? My bike has seen its days having over 70000km, so I dont want to make a performance machine out of it. I got a connection with a pre-98 cyclinder head with the cams for really cheap. The bike has 15000km and is being parted out. I also stripped one of my header bolts.. haha gets rid of the tinkering day and night to find out I screwed something else up. My bike is very aggressive... before I swapped the 4into1 it ... lets just say I became very paranoid of police

I will have to take the engine out to do it which is fine, what would I have to be concerned about when installing the cylinder head? Is there usually an issue if I were to swap cylinder heads because the bikes are in love with their original assembly or is it not to big of a problem interchanging them? I need a bit of guidance here, and I know you guys are the people to ask! help!
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

I don't understand, why are you changing the head? Why not just put the new cams in your current head? Is your current head a shim type or rocker type? If you want a set of less agressive rocker type cams I have a set of 2002 Kat 600 cams with 2,000 miles on them.

Comment

My head is in bad shape, some of the valve cover bolts were stripped at one point and then fixed but it wasn't done perfectly, 1 header bolt stripped, cam lobes are scuffed up, I would imagine that the springs would be somewhat worn out. The cylinder head would cost me $100 so I would want to swap the head right now, but I am still unsure of what kind of mess I can get myself into.

I have rocker type cams.
      1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
      X