X

Lifters breaking in Katana 600 -93

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifters breaking in Katana 600 -93

Bought my first bike a while ago, and discovered that it wasnt running on all cylinders. Thought the carburettors had clogged up from over a year of no running. Took them apart and had them cleaned.. while putting everything back together I looked down the intake while running the starter and noticed that one of the valves on cylinder 2 wasn't moving.

I had the bike returned to the seller, and he took it apart for free.
    What he found I cannot understand. A lifter had broken. He said he now have replaced three lifters. Why I don't know yet but maybe they were showing signs of wear too. The cams looked like new he said.

Have anyone heard of this? Do lifters break? Or, do they have to be replaced after a certain milage? I have no servicerecords of this bike, but when I got it home the first time it sounded very healthy and everything. But very uneven idle rpm. And only real power over 8000rpm.

btw, It has 39000km on it. (guess thats around 24000 miles)

That's the first I've ever heard of that.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Thought so, I cannot understand how you can break a lifter at all. Over rev?

Comment

Comment

Anyone have any clue what could have caused it? Could you punish the engine in some way to have that effect?

Comment

Corey broke one on his Ninja.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Just be glad that you didnt punch a hole in the head like Did.
              PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
              The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

They can break if the valve adjustment specs are way off (way too tight), especially if the bike has sat for eons and then started dry without any lube while the valves were way out of spec. I'd suspect the valves are bent as well on whatever lifters broke.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
                  Just be glad that you didnt punch a hole in the head like Did.
                  Yeah, that sucked. Oil gets all over everything, and in everything. Including the baffle of the exhaust.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Who needs a bafle?
                    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Working...
                    X