X

JUMPSTARTING A DEAD BATTERY...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUMPSTARTING A DEAD BATTERY...

What's the best way to jump a dead battery? First time I've ever had to do it. Can you do car to bike or is it better to just use a battery charger?
    sigpic

You can do a car to bike. I have done it and it works ok. You can also do it from a battery charger I have doen that too. Not with my Kat though but on my old 85 I had. Make sure the battery has water in it or the battery acid that you normally find in them.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

i had to do a car-to-bike jump start when it died at ach (remember that?),
      dont see any problem after that

i'd go with charger-to-battery if thats an option

Comment

one more thing, if you are doing car-to-bike jump, make sure the
        car engine is shut off. you dont want your battery being jumpped
        over-powered

Comment

Originally posted by 300
          i had to do a car-to-bike jump start when it died at ach (remember that?),
          dont see any problem after that

i'd go with charger-to-battery if thats an option
          Wow! Totally forgot about that! I thought you used the service station charger.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
            Wow! Totally forgot about that! I thought you used the service station charger

the service garage was already closed, and the guy in the station was
            a 120% @ss-Hol... he refused to help without money (i'm not giving him
            any money for that kinda attitude or need his help....)
            finally a truck stop by.....

man.... i hate that guy..... maybe that will make me hateful enough
            for "Grudge part II"

Comment

Push-starting isn't terribly difficult , unless you try it on gravel !
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have done car to bike once or twice on the Kat.
                We've needed to jump Nicks r6 a few of times too.
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  I don't know; I never had luck when my Kat was cold. Warm it was no problem.
                  1994 Kawasaki ZX6E

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull76
                    Originally posted by md86
                    I don't know; I never had luck when my Kat was cold. Warm it was no problem.
                    Try using 2nd gear instead of first, set the choke as usual if cold before starting the push, and prime the carbs first.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I have a question about push starting... what is the exact method involved?

I've never push started a bike, and all my cars have been auto, so never had the opportunity there.

I thought it might be a good idea to practice a push start and learn how to do it before I need to do it for real. This won't cause any problems, right? Better to learn the process and get it down pat before the real event.

From what Cyber posted I presume the process is something like this:
                      Prime the bike
                      Pop into second gear
                      Turn the bike on
                      Set the choke on
                      Get up some speed with the clutch in
                      Release the clutch and it should start

Does it need some gas too, or will the choke do the job?

Am I missing a major step?

Do I sound like a complete idiot for not knowing how to do this?
                      fulcrum (aka David)
                      Blue 2004 GSX750F
                      Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                      If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

I was always told the newer Kats can't be jumped. Something about the system that won't let the bike run on a dead battery. When I first had my Kat, I killed the battery. Wouldn't jump start, and I could start it popping the clutch either.

Comment

Huh , I know someone who bump-started a 2001 a little while ago ... I've done it to a few bikes , and that's pretty much the procedure . Except no choke when it's warm , and I don't usually put it in gear until after it's rolling and I'm on it . Little throttle sometimes helps . It's really very easy (if the bike allows you to ? ) .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Fulcrum...thats it...but try and use gravity...the bike will tire you out.

I bumped my 99 750 but the battery had juice (clutch wire was not contacting)...but its even better with someone pushing

do a few test bumps...when time comes (it usulaly does if you are unprepared) you will be confident

Comment

IF the battery is totally dead.. ur not going anywhere, push start or not, correct?

but as far as jump starting it..ive done it before. I've always turned on the ignition..left it in neutral..got someone to give me a nice long push to get some speed up..pull in the clutch, pop it into gear, and let the clutch fly... as soon as you hear it start to kick over, pull in the clutch and give it some gas. Always worked for me..when I had starter or stator issues to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X