Sticky Carburetors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Carburetors

Bike: 1996 Suzuki Katana 750 23,000miles

A week ago i had just finished a carburetor overhaul and put it on the bike. Everything worked fine and the bike started up good.

One week later, today, i go to start the bike and i notice that the throttle is stuck, i check the cable and work my way down and conclude the cable is not binded.

i take the carburetors off again and i see that the thottle is just really sicky for some reason, it doesnt look dirty but when i open up the throttle it has resistance and when i let the trottle go is slowly closes back into position, like there is glue in the springs, i sprayed carb cleaner on he springs but still nothing has changed, it seems to be internal.

i have no idea what changed over the week period, it was opening and closing fine and now its just all sticky and i have no clue what happened and before i have to take it all apart again i would like to get some opinions from those of you who know better than i do. Any input is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Maybe your springs are done for. During the overhaul did you get new ones? What about the throttle cable being dry and worn out? Maybe the throttle tube in the handle is getting stuck on something?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm going with the cable, get a new one

Comment

Tube is a good call , though . Happened with the old CB I been tinkering with . Disconnect the cable and operate the butterflies by hand to eliminate a few possibilities ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Since it sounds like you have the carbs already off, take some penatrating oil and put a drop ot two where the rod goes thru the side of the carbs to the butterflies.oil both sides and work the butterflies back and forth. It should start to free up. I've had this happen on a few carbs that have been cleaned and put on the shelf for a little while. I've also worked on several bikes that were stored for months that were sticking like that. Same results.

Nothing to lose other than a few drops of oil.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

yea i have the carbs off already, im going to put some oil in the rod that goes through the side and see what happens, thanks for the input guys

Comment

i just put some WD-40 on the butterfly shaft and worked them by hand and it came free almost instantly, i dont know why it got like that in a week, maybe the carb dip or somthing.

I put the carbs on the bike and it started fine now i just need to get the syncronization down so it will idle right.

Comment

the WD40 will dry out, and will beat up on any rubber parts it got on. replace it with a good silicone lube,grease, or something, just not a product with Naptha in it.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Go to autozone and get a $6 can of greasy goodness.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by melmar1987 View Post
                    i just put some WD-40 on the butterfly shaft and worked them by hand and it came free almost instantly, i dont know why it got like that in a week, maybe the carb dip or somthing.

I put the carbs on the bike and it started fine now i just need to get the syncronization down so it will idle right.
                    If you dipped them on the rack, you probably destroyed the rubber fittings on the fuel T's.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

no i took the whole rack apart, and disassembled each carb and diped only the metal parts and replaced the orings so none of the rubber parts and gaskets got hurt, i just need to properly grease the butterfly shaft now because i guess the wd40 will dry out and it will just cause the shaft to bind up again.

i got tons of silicone grease around so that will be next on the list. WD40 is just the first thing i always grab for a quick fix but i better watch out next time.

Comment

WD40 blows dude

Comment

Originally posted by melmar1987 View Post

I figured that was the problem. As soon as you mentioned you cleaned them and let them set a bit. Glad it was an easy fix.
                          Last edited by Newbie2it; 10-19-2008, 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                          X