X

Motorcycle Batteries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Batteries

Its about time i changed the battery on my bike bc it doesnt seem to be holding a charge. After looking into a new battery i realized the wide variety available and was wondering to myself, are motorcycle batteries interchangeable? I mean other than size whats the real difference?? I know in car batteries there are group sizes, cold cranking amps and regular cranking amps, but as this info isnt listed for motorcycle batteries. . . maybe someone out there knows the answer. Another thing ive learned is about the amp hour difference bw bikes, so if u have a ytx10-b or a 9bc, then the first battery is a 10 amp/hr while the second is a 9 amp/hr. I dont know the effect of changing that tho. . . ie putting a 9 amp/hr in a bike that normally runs 10 or vice versa

The batteries' differences have to do with all of the following factors:

(1) Voltage (number of cells, number of plates)
    (2) CCA's (total plate surface area, type of battery)
    (3) Charging capacity (how fast they can be charged without overheating), aka the 9-amp-hour rating on the 98+ batteries;
    (4) Physical exterior size (form factor, part 1)
    (5) Location of the terminals (form factor, part 2)
    (6) Polarity of the terminals (form factor, part 3).
    (7) Maintenance free (Glass mat or gel) vs standard, and whether your bike has a drainage tube for the battery (form factor part 4).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      (7) Maintenance free (Glass mat or gel) vs standard, and whether your bike has a drainage tube for the battery
      everyone uses a gel type(right)

Comment

Originally posted by the wind
        (7) Maintenance free (Glass mat or gel) vs standard, and whether your bike has a drainage tube for the battery
        Nope. The non-gel type are often cheaper (and non-gel/standard were stock for the pre-98's), although my recommendation is to go to the maint free when you change your battery (just make sure you match the requirements -- the pre-98's had larger capacities).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by the wind
          Nope. The non-gel type are often cheaper (and non-gel/standard were stock for the pre-98's), although my recommendation is to go to the maint free when you change your battery (just make sure you match the requirements -- the pre-98's had larger capacities).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          that was my point it's safer to have gel you just say it better

Comment

Working...
          X