X

I have the headers, now what?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the headers, now what?

I have the vance and hines super sport exhaust headers and I need to sand them down, paint them and put them to use. What are some tips for attaching the can on? Which muffler cans do people recommend?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

pretty hard to give you any tips without seeing the midpipe. You might need to make/buy a flange to attach the can. And which can to buy is a matter of personal preference. If you want maximum flow while sacrificing "quietness", go with D&D. If you want a nice cosmetic look with nice sound, get a nice Micron. In between those 2 you have several choices.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Re: I have the headers, now what?

Originally posted by 89katana750
      I have the vance and hines super sport exhaust headers and I need to sand them down, paint them and put them to use. What are some tips for attaching the can on? Which muffler cans do people recommend?
      No tip for attaching the can aside from using a new exhaust gasket at the mid-pipe junction. As for the headers, rather than sanding them, get them sand-blasted. It's worth the money ($20 - $30) to get the better results -- just don't touch the headers with your bare hands after sand blasting before painting (to keep from getting oils from your skin onto the surface where it might interfere with paint adhesion). If you have the cash, you might want to consider getting them ceramic-coated (JetCoated or similar) -- I just had a set done for $175 including the sandblasting & prep work, coating & baking (see the results here). If not, then use high-temp paints, such as POR-20 1400 degree paint from POR-15.com -- the higher the rating, the better, because the less likely you are to have problems down the road if the bike runs too lean at some point (which raises exhaust temps).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
      X