Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike shut off on the highway last night...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike shut off on the highway last night...

I was coming home from work doing about 80 or so. Bike gave a slight jerk, then another jerk and all of my electrics went completely out. engine still ran as long as the clutch was in, but i had very little throttle response. when i got to the side of the road, there was no electrical response at all. nothing worked. sooo i pushed it a mile to a weigh station and left it there.. not much i could do, it was 11:30 at night.

i think there might have been some oil leaking? i coudlnt tell because i didnt have a light. i did hear a sizzling sound coming from in front of the rear tire which worries me.
    i also noticed that when i was coasting down a hill, if i put it in gear and didn't let out the clutch my cluster lights started to shine very very dimly, and kept getting a little brighter. also if i popped the clutch, it would start right up, however i had no throttle response.
    i'm gonna take a look at it tonight on my way to work...hopefully i can pick it up friday night...any suggestions on things to look for would be appreciated.
    Hammer:
    Apply directly to the forehead!

did you think to check the battery yet
    Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

i glanced at the cables and all before i left, everything still looked tight and normal. i work at a tire and lube shop, so i have a battery tester. i was thinking about pulling it out on the way to work and testing it.
      Hammer:

Comment

might want to do that never had it happen on a bike persay but had a car that the battery died on the radio went out car lacked power then the auto tranny shifted itself to neutral and when i pulled over to the side the car wouldnt start again also need to check your alternator might be the reason the battery is dead if the battery will take a charge again

Comment

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Took the battery out, it was low on water, refilled the cells, set it to charge in the hangar for the day and have not had a problem since. I also charge it every Friday while I am here at work.
          sigpic

Comment

I was hoping someone would back me up on this

Comment

the battery and fuses are all just forward of the rear tire. the sizzling you heard may well have been fuses or battery or wiring toasting. Check the stuff coming up from the alternator with the funky light syndrome
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

i'm driving out to take a look at it (and hopefully move it) right now. i'll post an update later. hopefully i'll post a fix as well.
                Hammer:

Comment

good luck man....a broke bike suuuuuccccckkkkkksssss

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X