Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Engine dies when shifting into first from neutral...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine dies when shifting into first from neutral...

I'll start out by saying hello as I am new to the site. i just found it this morning after picking up my first bike yesterday. She's a 1996 katana 600 that I picked up for a song. It's been sitting for the past three months and has a little TLC coming her way. But the major problem that I can see is that when I try to shift into first, she clicks a few times as I'm pushing the pedal down and then when it actually drops into first, the engine dies. However, yesterday when i picked up the bike, the previous owner was able to get her going. Now I don't know any more than the first thing about motorcycles and I don't know any more experienced riders. So I've turned to these forums. Any help would be much appreciated. I'll try to answer any questions to the best of my abilities but I'm a total newb at this.

-Jason

First thing I'd look at is the kickstand kill switch.
    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
      First thing I'd look at is the kickstand kill switch.
      +1 on that. you might have a short. It is fairly common.

However, what do you mean by "it clicks"? Do you mean like the gears are grinding and it not going in smoothly? Does the bike stay still or does it sort of jump ahead a bit when it does go into gear? I am not sure if your model will start in gear (with the kickstand up of course), but try that. Let the bike warm up good in neutral, then shut it off. Then put it in first and try to start it. If it wants to pull ahead while it is turning over, you have a clutch problem.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Where is the Kick kill switch located? And it feels more like the gears arent going in smooth and then when it does finaly go into first dies. And it stays still when all of this happens.

Comment

Look at your kickstand. Where it pivots on the frame you should see a little "plunger" that when you put the kickstan up get's pushed in.
          Kyle

Comment

Thank you so much for the help! It was totally the kill switch I just took my first ride on my first motorcycle and it was AMAZING! You were so helpful and I see myself spending a lot of time on this forum.Again my thanks!
            -Jason

Comment

Please be careful.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

So.. was the kickstand down while you tried to shift? :P

Or was there a real problem with the kickstand kill switch?
                "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

The kickstand was up, but it was catching. I just had to bring it up all the way and the kill switch would depress. Ran fine after that.

Comment

Two thoughts:

(A) Since you're new to motorcycling, you may not know this: unlike a car, you do not shift slowly on a bike. The correct way to shift is with a quick, decisive snap of the foot to quickly engage the gears. Going in slowly will cause the gear faces to dance across each other and can do damage over time.

(B) If the kickstand issue isn't resolved, the engine can cut out on you in transit any time you hit a bump large enough to cause the switch to become an open circuit again.

Be safe out there...
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Two thoughts:

(A) Since you're new to motorcycling, you may not know this: unlike a car, you do not shift slowly on a bike. The correct way to shift is with a quick, decisive snap of the foot to quickly engage the gears. Going in slowly will cause the gear faces to dance across each other and can do damage over time.

(B) If the kickstand issue isn't resolved, the engine can cut out on you in transit any time you hit a bump large enough to cause the switch to become an open circuit again.

Be safe out there...
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Appreciate the advice CyberPoet!

Comment

yea if you haven't taken the msf yet beleive me its worth the $$$ plus you can get a lower insurance rate in some states. ive also noticed that if i try to shift down into 1st at like 20mph or so i will hear the transmission skipping i know you should match rpms with gears, i was just wondering if anybody else gets this or is it a sign of a transmission on its way out?

Comment

Originally posted by icekillah
                          yea if you haven't taken the msf yet beleive me its worth the $$$ plus you can get a lower insurance rate in some states. ive also noticed that if i try to shift down into 1st at like 20mph or so i will hear the transmission skipping i know you should match rpms with gears, i was just wondering if anybody else gets this or is it a sign of a transmission on its way out?
                          20mph might be a bit fast for your bike to go into 1st. I never paid much attention to the speed, but I know mine won't go into first if I am not slowed down enough. You can get it to go in by bringing up the rpms to mesh the gears, but if you let the clutch out going to fast, expect redline or rear wheel lock up...or at least a chirp. It's hard on the drive train...so I don't suggest it. It raises hell with the chain as well.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yeah I plan to take the MSF class right after I get my bike in running order. I just took it for a few spins around the block before it died (see my other post for details).
                            -Jason

Comment

Yeah, don't try to shift down to first unless you are going prett slow.

My 97 600 had the same problem with the kill switch. The stand would get stuck on the exhaust and not go up all the way to engage the switch. No problems now that I have a single pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X