Voltage regulator failed!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage regulator failed!

Hi all,

Voltage regulator was failing, spiking volts up to 15.50 v and blowing lightbulbs everytime out.

I removed it, and well, it didnt want to come out easy, but it did end up in the trash.

I then went to Ultimate Cycle In hamilton, and he sold me for $130.00 a Stator very similar to mine, from a Yamaha 750.. not sure which one. Anyways, the regulator looks the same, its got some numbers on the little circle IC (I cant remember what it is).

Anyhoos, long story short - the used regulator doesnt work, and my battery is not charging at all.

Thoughts? Maybe I miss diagnosed? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Scott
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Problem solved.

The used regulator from Ultimate Cycle was ok, I removed it and tested it using the good old multimeter and a power supply.

removed the stator and check it out, everything SEEMED ok, but when I reinstalled it and checked for rectifier output - almost nada at the regulator.

I replaced the old stator brushes with the ones of the Yamaha stator, and presto! Works like a charm. 14.5VDC steady.

-Scott

Comment

Oh dude , that sucks ! I thought I had the same problem a couple years ago and got a new regulator (for ALOT cheaper than whay YOU paid :roll ) , and it's now sitting in the closet in a box of parts ! I'd've probably just GIVIN it to you ! Well , at least NOW it's fixed .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Glad you got it resolved. Know that a brand new regulator (at least for the 98+ models) runs just shy of $100 brand spanking new via RonAyers.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A Brand new Suzuki Regulator for the '90 Kat 600 is $262.00 CAD. A new complete stator is over $1100.00 CAD at your local Suzuki Dealer. Can you say highway robery?

-Grimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmy
            A Brand new Suzuki Regulator for the '90 Kat 600 is $262.00 CAD. A new complete stator is over $1100.00 CAD at your local Suzuki Dealer. Can you say highway robery?

-Grimmy
            Sounds like it. The regulator for a '90 (Suzuki PN 32500-27A00) is $123.38 from RonAyers.com (new).

See: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...20&parent=4850

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X