X

Big Maintenance planned for winter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Maintenance planned for winter

So after having the bike for this summer I've decided it's definitely worth putting some extra money into it so I can take it further from home (road trip) without worrying about anything, and ride it harder without any problem.

This all started with me realizing that I needed a new chain and sprockets and getting recommendations to get new tires. So here is my maintenance plan for the winter:

First of all, new tires, and while everything is off for that, I'm going to replace the sprockets and chain. At the same time I'm going put on new brake pads and run new brake lines. I'm also planning on replacing the hub shock absorbers. Going to put in CyberPoet's billet tire valves, and put speedbleeders on the brake calipers while dealing with that system. Also, while putting on the new brake pads I'm going to R&R the caliper pistons and seals.

I'm also going to adjust the valves.

With all of that going on, is there anything else I should take a look at doing since everything is going to be apart anyway?

Suggestions?

If it's never been done, changing front fork seals and oil won't hurt.

Comment

Oh yea, I think I'm gonna take the headers off and grind down the welds. I read about that in a thread here somewhere.

Comment

pretty much what i did to my pre 750 over last winter with the exception of grinding down the header welds. that and Paint by Zack. Wasn't too much work actually, just needed warm enough weather to play in the garage. I've got a 240v heater out there now so that wont be a problem this year. no more soggy wet heat from the propane tophat heater. Zack hopes to have my Kat all prettied up for his booth at the Donny Smith Bike Show this winter.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I'd second doing the fork seals and oil. You might want to replace/upgrade the fork springs while your at it.

And since you'll be stripping off most the of the fairings anyway, go all the way and pack all your electrical connections with dielectric grease to waterproof them.
          Kyle

Comment

Winter projects . THat's a weekend MAYBE .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Would suggest if you have the winter ahead of you, to address the various bearings really well -- repack the bearings (in place), including the wheel bearings, the suspension bearings (lower bearings on the shock & dogbone mounts), and the steering head bearing. If you really want to go heavy, the swingarm bearings can also be done, but they are real PIA by comparison.
              All of these bearings tend to be ignored and wear/age, with the steering bearing usually getting the worst of it (because of it's orientation -- grease gets hot and drops straight out). Optionally, upgrade the bearings with AllBalls brand replacements, esp. in the case of the steering head bearing (where the change from balls to needle-bearings can make a radical difference in feel).

Fumoto valve if you haven't done so yet.
              If you have an aftermarket can, and it's now 2 years old, time to repack the packing material as well...

Header grinding webpage on my site is here: [URL=http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/header.html]How to grind out your header welds[/img].

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X