X

Oil Change Interval

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Interval

Last October ('04) I changed my oil and filter. I have about 3k miles on the bike since then and obviously about 8 mos. I feel I'm due for an oil change - espescially since I'm heading into the hot months of the summer. I don't have my manual in front of me but I thought I recall something about only doing the filter every other time you change the oil. I'm running Mobil synthetic in the bike if that matters. Bottom line: should I change the filter too or just do the oil and should I do the oil now or wait for another 1-2k miles?

Thanks.
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

I would change the oil. Typically oil should be changed every 3500 miles or three months. With synthetic you can get away with longer intervals, but being that your oil has been sitting in the case since October I would replace it. As for the filter manufacturers often say that you can get away with replacing it every other oil change. Personally I put a new one on every time just in case.

BTW did you do a search on the topic. There have been a lot of treads regarding this issue.

Comment

Yah - did a search for this topic first thing. I got a lot of hits but nothing having to do with what I was looking for. I was surprised. Maybe my parameters were wrong or something because I'd much rather find the answers on my own instead of taking up space with a question that has been asked before....

Thanks, though.
      PurpleonBlack

Comment

Make sure it is Mobil MX4T Motorcycle Oil Synthetic, not Mobil car oil Synthetic. They only make one in only one bottle (black). Anything else and your using car oil.

Mobil Says: Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

Using full synthetic you could stretch the oil changes to 5000 mi , and then have an even and easily rememberd interval to plan for. and since your going to do all of that work anyways, it never hurts to change the filter. That will probably add a whole 5 minutes to the process.

Comment

Yah - I'm using the Mobil 1 MX4T. That's why I was debating extending it passed 3k miles...but its been 8 months. So I think I may have reached my time interval before the mileage interval. I already have the filter so changing that at the same time is no big deal. Are the filters rated for 6-10k miles???
          PurpleonBlack

Comment

Depending on what type of filter you are using, you can go every other time to every 3rd time on changing the filter. If it has been sitting though, I would prolly change it. Specially if it has been sitting for a few months.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by J. Kidd
              Are the filters rated for 6-10k miles???
              Under ideal conditions Suzuki OEM filters are supposed to last up to three fluid changes (btw Suzuki OEM only claims this), but we all know that we don't ride under ideal factory conditions at all. Plus If something forces the bypass filter open prematurely (clogged filter, bad pressure level, etc), you could be going up to 3 oil changes on unfiltered oil swooshing around in your engine.

I think you should swap it out every oil change. There is no downside to doing so, and then you have no worries.

Comment

I wouldn't push the oil to more than 3500 miles unless the distance was all done in very short time. You've got 8 month old oil -- which means that much of that time, the oil was left sitting with condensation free to get in it, and water + oil forms sulfuric acid, which breaks down both the viscosity of the other oil around it and some of the metals in the engine (esp in the tranny). Mobil 1 MX4T is a JASO-MA rated oil, which means it has a very low sulfated ash content (and won't form as much sulfuric acid), but still, I would think the oil has seen it's day.

As for the oil filter, the Toyo Roki (Suzuki OEM filter) is rated for three oil changes. I've never pushed mine that far, but have known many who do. I have never seen any other brand of filter for the Kat that is designed for more than the stock oil-change interval.

Meanwhile, filters are cheap, if you have the tools, change it.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X