X

gearing and speed question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing and speed question.

This I think would be more of a tech question than anything else. What is or should be the top speed of a stock Katana, and what would you imagine the top speed of a geared Katana? 14/47 to be exact.
    Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

I'd expect the top speed of a 14/47 98+ Kat 600 to be around 110 - 117 mph, although you'd never know from the speed (since it reads at the front sprocket, the speedo would be off by just as much).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had a friend follow me on his bike to get a good idea on how fast I was going since I don't have a speedo. He said we got up to 131mph, but then he got bored and blew past me. Gotta love the torque of a V-twin. I had heard someone say the top speed of a Kat should be about 135ish. Was wondering if that was true.

Comment

Originally posted by armor_dan
        I had a friend follow me on his bike to get a good idea on how fast I was going since I don't have a speedo. He said we got up to 131mph, but then he got bored and blew past me. Gotta love the torque of a V-twin. I had heard someone say the top speed of a Kat should be about 135ish. Was wondering if that was true.
        A stock 98+ Kat 600 tops out around 130 - 135 tucked in normally.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I HAVE TOPPED THE LIMIT OF THE SPEEDO OF 140...ON MY 99 KAT600 W/ V&H SYSTEM, JETTED...FOR ABOUT 3 SECZ...THEN I GOT 2 SCARED AND SLOWED DOWN...
          (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

TOP SPEED OF A -98 750?????
            "LOOK EARL ITS KARMA'S ARMY MADE UP OF THE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD"

Comment

Well, as most of you know my wind resistance is, well......... not really there, lol. I was tucked right to the tank and on it as hard as I could. The stock gearing on the bike stock would not allow me to get the bike that fast, but the new gearing helps out a lot

Comment

bah.....slowpokes. I can do 150 sitting straight up with the wind in my face.

Q: your speedos run of the front sprocket?? I always thought it was off the front wheel like the 1100's.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  bah.....slowpokes. I can do 150 sitting straight up with the wind in my face.

Q: your speedos run of the front sprocket?? I always thought it was off the front wheel like the 1100's.
                  88 - 97 runs off the front wheel toothed gear; the 98 - 05 runs off a hall-sensor style pick-up at the tranny output shaft (aka off the front drive sprocket).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if you got one that runs off the front wheel... how can you make it accurate after a gear change? anything you can do to make it correct again?

Comment

Originally posted by nemethjames1
                      if you got one that runs off the front wheel... how can you make it accurate after a gear change? anything you can do to make it correct again?
                      If it runs off the front wheel, sprocket changes make no difference, because the front wheel still turns the same amount for any given distance -- it's the ones that measure off the tranny output shaft (i.e. - the 98+ models) that need to be corrected for. You can find links to the solutions here:

CyberPoet's "Katana Sprocket Ratios page, complete with notes," at MotorcycleAnchor.com, makers of the finest security lock-down anchor in the industry!

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X