X

oil change question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change question

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone through the trouble that I went through to change the oil in their Kat. For me i had to remove the oil filter i had to remove the headers, and the oil lines that go to the rad. Then i had to fight and curse for about 20 min before the oil filter would come loose.

Depends on the headers you're running, but, I've had to remove headers to change oil filters.....................

Never had to remove oil lines though.................

Usually I find that on the early model Kats with either Yosh or Vance & Hines or D&D (???) that I cannot get the filters off without header removal.......

My problem is...............I just wish I could always remember WHICH headers cause that problem..............it seems that only ONE mfg is it...............

The stock ones allow the oil filter to slide thru and opengine between the #2 & #3 pipes.....
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I had to remove my headers too the last time i changed my oil. Stock headers, and stock oil filter. The mechanics at the shop put the filter on too tight when they did my first service. I ended up stripping the drive end of my oil filter wrench..

It actually wasn't that bad of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
        I had to remove my headers too the last time i changed my oil. Stock headers, and stock oil filter. The mechanics at the shop put the filter on too tight when they did my first service. I ended up stripping the drive end of my oil filter wrench..

It actually wasn't that bad of a job.

On an 04 600?
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Re: oil change question

Originally posted by andrehendricken
          Just wondering if anyone has ever gone through the trouble that I went through to change the oil in their Kat. For me i had to remove the oil filter i had to remove the headers, and the oil lines that go to the rad. Then i had to fight and curse for about 20 min before the oil filter would come loose.
          If you have the stock headers, and use a standard Suzuki filter, you can get it out with a 3/8" drive extension and the stock oil filter cap wrench simply by going between header pipes for cylinder #2 & #3. No need to remove the headers...
          As SpecialK noted, some brands of aftermarket headers don't permit this access.

Originally posted by Special K
          On an 04 600?
          +1

Curious...
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the V&H headers. I think there is room to use the filter cap wrench. I know there is room to pull the filter through. I don't have filter cap wrench, I use the mangle the filter and swear method. It is a great strees reliever!
            The little boat drifted gently across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Comment

keith its youshi headers they are in the way on my 89-93 motors

Comment

Working...
              X