X

Plugs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs

Number 2 pipe doesnt get hot during cold idle. hasent for some time, it chugs a little when accelerating from cold but soon smooths out and the pipe gets hot.

I've pulled the plug to take a look and it looked great, although there was a small section on the ceramic near the tip that was browned.

I've cut about 10 mm off the ht cable and re-tapped the shoe.

Im considering new plugs, even if it doesnt fix the problem im sure it will help.

Question is do I buy the hot type or regular? I'd like the hot type as i hear its easier for starting. Any other advantages/disadvantages? If heats an issue i've got high quality fresh oil in there.

Brown isn't bad

Brown is good. Get the hot type plug only if you're slightly running rich to help burn off the carbon by product and prevent fouling. Or you can just go the Iridium route. They have a much wider range for operation temperature so less chance of fouling.

read this for some basics on spark plugs and plug selection.

Pull another plug to compare to the #3 plug. Maybe you're running lean on the other 3 cylinders.

Brown = good
    Black = too rich
    white/gray = too lean, FIX immediately!!
    Last edited by oohhbehave; 10-03-2008, 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah , FIRST start with a new plug (regular OEM type) and see what happens . If it does the same chugging deal , don't ride the bike yet . Let it cool a bit and pull that plug and see what it looks like . May give you a clue if it's not firing right because it ain't getting enough fuel when cold , or too much .
      THEN we can dig a little deeper ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The pipe:
        Cold on idle, hot after 3000 rpm's,( depends on when the needle jet/jet needle kicks in.) cools down at idle.......... blocked pilot jet. Try this before you do a carb tear down.

Remove air filter.
        Look into air box and locate two/one small brass orifice.
        Take a can of carb cleaner with long spray nozzle and stick it into the one of the two little brass holes at the bottom of the carb throat.
        Spray.
        Stick it in the next one.
        Spray.
        If that doesn't work after a few sprays clean the carb's.

A blocked pilot jet is the only reason for a pipe cool down.
        You will not have a miss unless the plug is dead due to a bad plug or a bad electrical connection.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 10-03-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Cheers for the replies

Im guessing the engine should be off when spraying this carb cleaner? Im just worried that it could build up somewhere and ignite/damage something when i fire her up??

Comment

Yes. engine off.

Disclaimer: Wear safety glasses for I will not be held responsible for you getting sprayed in the eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X