X

gas smell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas smell

So, my annoying landlord knocks on my door tonight. He proceeds to tell me that he can smell gas around my Kat. I had noticed it in the morning when I went to work a couple times but wasn't too worried. But since I'm in a parking garage and am near the door where he will always walk I should probably check it out. What could be causing the smell while it is just sitting? There are no leaks that I can see, there certainly is no gas on the ground.

check your oil and unplug your airbox plug dealy. it might be also coming from your carbs. i know my kat usually smells lol
    Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Also, check to make sure that your p.c. dial is fully on the correct position. Mine was a little off which caused gas to leak out enough for a small puddle and strong fumes.
      -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
      -My wife

Comment

The gasket on your gas cap might be nearing it's end. Mine is pretty close. If my Kats been in the sun for a little while and I get on, my shifting the bike upright causes some gas fumes to escape.

Comment

Originally posted by alien View Post
          The gasket on your gas cap might be nearing it's end. Mine is pretty close. If my Kats been in the sun for a little while and I get on, my shifting the bike upright causes some gas fumes to escape.
          Actually, thats caused from the pressure relief valve built into the gas cap. So long as the rubber is soft and not torn, its not near the end of its life.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

tell the picky bastid to quit eating beans
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Hell , and it IS a vented system .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                Actually, thats caused from the pressure relief valve built into the gas cap. So long as the rubber is soft and not torn, its not near the end of its life.
                Cool, thanks for the info. I do believe my rubber seal isn't soft any more.
                -------------------------------------^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                Yeah, I know I just set myself up. But I enjoy hearing jokes, dirty or otherwise.
                Last edited by alien; 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Im going with everyone else its a vented system the temp changes cause it to release also shaking it will cause it to produce pressure and blow off some fumes
                  Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by alien View Post
                    Cool, thanks for the info. I do believe my rubber seal isn't soft any more.
                    -------------------------------------^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                    Yeah, I know I just set myself up. But I enjoy hearing jokes, dirty or otherwise.
                    One trick you could try.. someday, next time your messing with the bike and got the tank off.... pop the lid of it and grab some oil.. preferablly penatrating oil like 3 in 1 oil or something simular that you can apply by finger. Vaseoline will work too. Apply it to the rubber and let it sit.. Just smear it all over the rubber. What this will do is put some V.O.C's back into the rubber and help it soften some. New gas is harsh as hell on rubber and strips out the V.O.C.'s and causes the rubber to get hard and brittle over time. Dont worry about the excess oil getting in your gas when it splashes on the lid, theres not enough oil there to ever cause a problem. Only thing it will do is help soften the rubber some. repeted applications will help more. But nothing will help if its petrified hard as a rock.

Something to think about next time you got the tank off.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                      One trick you could try.. someday, next time your messing with the bike and got the tank off.... pop the lid of it and grab some oil.. preferablly penatrating oil like 3 in 1 oil or something simular that you can apply by finger. Vaseoline will work too. Apply it to the rubber and let it sit.. Just smear it all over the rubber. What this will do is put some V.O.C's back into the rubber and help it soften some. New gas is harsh as hell on rubber and strips out the V.O.C.'s and causes the rubber to get hard and brittle over time. Dont worry about the excess oil getting in your gas when it splashes on the lid, theres not enough oil there to ever cause a problem. Only thing it will do is help soften the rubber some. repeted applications will help more. But nothing will help if its petrified hard as a rock.

Something to think about next time you got the tank off.
                      Nice! Even more info... I this place and the people here. Thanks again.

Oh, and apologies to beherenow71... totally hijacked your thread.

Comment

Or, smear transmission fluid around the cap seal. It will make it swell. No guarantee though.

Comment

Working...
                        X