X

Quick mixture adjustment Q

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick mixture adjustment Q

Hi, thanks to Black Peter et al who helped me out recently diagnosing a difficult-to-chase-down ignition problem. Bike is all back together and running reasonably well, but I have one minor issue I need to address:

Bike is experiencing afterfiring through the exhaust when "off throttle". At other times (on throttle or at idle) it seems to run reasonably well with no sputtering or rough running. The "blap blap blap" is only when the engine is decelerating with the throttle closed.

Bike has an Ivan's jet kit with the AF screws set per Ivan's instructions (4 turns out IIRC). Stock (new) air cleaner, D&D exhaust (no flaming plz, I like it) and ignition advancer (Factory Pro). Brand new plugs, wires, coils, fuel filter, good fuel, etc.

Where would you guys recommend starting for a minor adjustment of the mixtures? I'm thinking this is a slightly lean condition but I don't have an LM-1 handy to check. Is this correct? Should I change from 4 turns out to 3.75 turns out, re-synch and try again or what? 3.5 turns out? How aggressive do I get with those screws?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by KatScratchFever; 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM.

opposite direction, how bad does it pop? Mine does too when I run it hard.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

So it's not far enough out? Maybe try 4.5 turns out?

Honestly it's not terrible but it's enough to be annoying. I'm sort of a perfectionist and I want it to be as good as I can get it.

Comment

or 4.25
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

OK I'll give that a shot - thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X