X

Oil leak fixed, with a....... RUG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak fixed, with a....... RUG

I had this oil leak ( apparently from the head gasket ) and the oil was finishing on my pants and left boot. Soooo , after a lot of thinking we put a red shop rug between the engine and the frame and it did miracles ! No oil at all on any part of the bike. I just have to fill the bike's oil up after every ride

Kat = cheap maintenance ? YEAH !

W.
    WittyMonkey
    ----------------------------------
    www.bostontechnologies.com

carefull, with all that oil build up and heat, could easily cause a nasty fire down there..

Ask BatGirl she had a similar experience with her ninja (no rug was involved, I believe it was a careless mechanic that left a rag in her lower cowl)

Comment

Hm, I believe the temperature isnt' high enough outside the engine to put the oil on fire. The oil in the engine will start boiling first. Isn't it ?
      I also paid attention so that the rug is as far away from the exhaust pipe as possible. I also was very nervous at the beginning of doing this but I took the rug out after 500 miles and it wasn't even brown or dark , no signs of heating on it. I guess it's good news.

W.
      WittyMonkey
      ----------------------------------
      www.bostontechnologies.com

Comment

Originally posted by wittymonkey
        Hm, I believe the temperature isnt' high enough outside the engine to put the oil on fire.
        That's strictly dependent on the flash/combustion points of the material used in the rug. If you think about a piece of flammable material in the lower cowl of a Kat, and then think about the heat sources there (oil pan, exhaust mid-pipe & collector), there's more than enough heat to combust most materials, given time and a long ride... Might not even happen while the bike is running (but afterwards, during the park phase).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X