Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is a Katana 600 to 750 rebuild possible?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Katana 600 to 750 rebuild possible?

long story short: somehow my oil plug came out on the highway, Kat shut down, after refill/new plug, I have a tapping noise on the left side, higher the rpms, quicker the tapping. Idle is off, bike shakes back and forth at idle.

1. What do you think it is?
    2. Is a rebuild in order?
    3. Someone had told me that a 97 Katana 600 is just a sleeved-down 750. Can I get it rebuilt as a 750 then?
    Thanks to KR, everytime I look at my bike, my wallet screams "NOOOOOOOoooooo"

1. Yes a rebuild is in order.

2.Would probably be cheaper to buy a good used 750 engine than rebuild yours.

3. Yes it is possible. I took a 2002 600 and swapped various top end parts from the old oil cooled GSXR to build a 771 engine. Very time consuming and costly if you have it done. Not to mention I spent about a year figuring out what parts would work and what would not. No i will not build you one.

Comment

i got a 750 motor for sale if you wnat

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
        No i will not build you one.
        damn.

how much does a rebuild typically cost compared to how much I can get a used 750 for?

duff: let me figure out which route I'm going to go, and then I'll get back to you. MO to PA is a looonnng drive

Comment

Well I had about $150 in machine work done. That included boreing the jugs 1mm over for he Wiseco kit, new springs, clips, retainers, and valves installed in the head. and I had the head and jugs magna fluxed. That is machine work and labor ONLY. The new valves cost $150 alone. The springs, clips, and retainers were $150 and that was for stock late model Katana 750 parts. The Wiseco kit for a 1990-92 GSXR 750 costs almost $500 by itself. I bought mine on eBay for $250 but it was one of those perfect timing things. I do know where there is another Wiseco high compression 13:1 kit for an 86/87 GSXR 750 for sale. I think he wants $400 for it, I might be wrong.

If you noticed I didn't add all that up. I don't want to remember how much I put into building this thing.

Comment

thats the same thing i was think i think my 813 kit added up to about 1500 for everthing and i did most of it myself
            The Katana's Big Brother
            1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

which would be easier to do, a 600 rebuild or a complete 600 swap?

I've always been very leery of ebay, but there are a few good looking deals (as always) on there for pre 98 750s and 98+ 600s. What should I watch out for and how complicated is it to take this one out and put in a 750?

I doubt that I would have enough time or mechanical inclination to do it myself, so I'll probably have a shop do whatever for me.

Comment

where are you located number one number 2 i have am otor but it might be sold so if the guy doesnt want it i can get it to you. and number 3 all you need are simple sockets extentions and a drill, other then that your set to go bro

Comment

Duff don't forget a few tie downs, a floor jack, torque wrench, red and blue loc-tite, and band-aids.

And since I have done both a rebuild and a swap I would say the swap is easier. If you want to put a 98+ engine in a pre 98 frame make sure to get the wiring harness, CDI, coils, and carbs with it.

Comment

.........and read THIS: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78

SWAP to another 600, or a 750, or a newer motor. SIMPLE, I do it all the time! Did one earlier this week...........put a 96 750 motor in a 94 600 Kat........less than a day here, but there is a learning curve! 8)
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                      SWAP to another 600, or a 750, or a newer motor. SIMPLE, I do it all the time!
                      that's like the duck telling the rock "come on in, the water's fine" :P

Swapping a 600 or 750 in there does sound like the better option so far. I need to call/stop by a local shop to see what they're thinking. They already said probably $1200-2000+ for a rebuild just based on what I told them, so my courage of swapping it myself is beginning to rise.

Duff Daddy: I am about an hour+ outside of St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
                      X