X

Short and to the point. Katana wont stay on w/o the throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short and to the point. Katana wont stay on w/o the throttle

After cleaning out my carbs, putting a wire brush bristle in the jets to clear them out, and putting it back together, my 1993 Katana won't stay on without the throttle open somewhat. I messed with the idle screw before I cleaned the carbs and nothing happened. Now is the idle screw waay off? I also attempted to remove my throttle cable, but did not take it off. Did I mess up putting it back on?

Right now it only stays on when I pull the throttle back a little, and when I let off it dies immediatly. The last time I tried it, it backfired before it died.

Re: Short and to the point. Katana wont stay on w/o the thro

I'm guessing that you still have a mild vacuum leak after the carbs (i.e. -between the carbs and the cylinders), or the idle is set way too low.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So is the throttle cable on the carb suppose to be all the way tight; then idle can be adjusted correctly? because i only hand tightened, and the idle never changed.

edit: damn that probably wont fix the backfire will it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfonso Ribeiro
        So is the throttle cable on the carb suppose to be all the way tight; then idle can be adjusted correctly? because i only hand tightened, and the idle never changed.
        The sheath should be tight; the cable itself should have about 1/2 to 1mm of play left in it. The idle being too low isn't a result of the throttle cable.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

*sorry, I meant the idle cable, not throttle cable. It is loose where it connects to the carbs.

I have one vacuum line from the petcock to the right side of the carb. Thats the only vacuum right?
          (sorry my Cymer manual is not helping )
          The nipple in the middle of the tank and the nipple by the 2 wires come out of the tank are both just drain lines right?

Maybe its the intake not all the way sealed where it attaches to the carbs.

I know I screwed them all down pretty good.

I also put in some Chevron, with the cleaned tank and new 91 octane.

I need to go ride!

Comment

Still idles and dies immediately after I release the throttle.

Just tried to start it and moved the idle screw right. It idled for about 1-2 seconds, then died and made a clank noise. Now it wont even fire; sounds like an electric drill. (I'm still jump starting it because the battery is not completely charged.) I think I'll just take it in tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X