X

bike acting strange

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike acting strange

Tonight I went to start the bike, it was parked in gear as normal when it isn't in the garage. I bumped it up into 2nd then back down to 1st, I was not taking my time and bumped through N. So I get it into neutral and start it, kick stand is still down as well. The bike starts fine and since I was recently on it no choke was needed. I released the clutch lever to adjust something and it lurched forward and stalled... WTF, I have the green light and I confirm its in neutral by shift to first and back up into neutral. Started the bike again with no issues and let the clutch out, no stalling and now acting like normal.

What would make this happen? Bike is an 05 750. And it was fine up to that point and had been fine since and I did a bit of running around since.
    Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

well the one thing the MSF instructors taught us was to never trust the Green N light- and here is a perfect example why. Always verify that the bike is indeed in neutral by rolling it a bit either back or forward. I had a similar problem and i bet almost everyone here has as well

Comment

ditto what rodimus said, I have had that happen a few times.

Comment

[quote=ChuglyXJ;1551411]kick stand is still down as well.[quote]

There's your answer right there, the kickstand safety switch turns the bike off if you put the bike in gear and try to go with the kickstand down so you don't go riding off that way!
        Former bikes:
        1989 Katana 750 (blue)
        2005 Katana 750 (blue)

sigpic

Comment

The green light on any bike shouldn't be trusted. The green light on a Kat should be ignored altogether...
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

on my bike there has been a few times that the N light was on but was in gear so dont trust the light.

Comment

Same on above. I've even had the green light poop out altogether.

Comment

I figured the light was lying to me and I was still in second, at least. Like I said I was in a hurry, responding to a call and I normally do not take the bike. I know I parked it in first and kicked it up into second...

I also learned to always start the bike with the stand down, so if the light lies or I am not paying attention it will shut off in stead of taking off with me not ready to ride.

My normal start up is; jacket and lid, start the bike in N, gloves, stand, choke off, checks, visor down, put in gear and ride away.

Thanks again KR for helping out a newer guy!!
                Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Working...
                X