Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Cleaning disassembled Carbs - I need a primer..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning disassembled Carbs - I need a primer..

Can someone give me a fast primer on how to clean my dismantled carbs.

I removed the floats, needles, diaphragms, jets, pilot screws. etc.

So, how do I go about cleaning these parts

How do I clean the 4 carb assembly bodies?

How do I clean the o-rings?

How do I clean the gaskets?

How do I clean any plastic parts like the floats and the stuff that the emulsion rods/needles integrate into?

How do I clean the metal stuff like the emulsion rods, needles, jets, pilot screws etc?

Why I am asking is some of the parts are metal, some plastic, some rubber. Not sure what to use on what. I also looked around and see that some people put the carb in boiling water. Is it just the body that I need to put in boiling water?

THANKS A TON, FOLKS. Probably we can make this a sticky.

Um... all that info is out there already.

We already have two stickies with a ton of photos

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I soak everything in the HOT soapy Dawn dish soap then rinse in hot water. Then go through with the carb cleaner to rinse and clean. This cleans all the grease and grime away from everything and doesn't hurt any of the orings. Blow uot with compressed air to finish.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

oh dear gawd, i hope you didnt take them all apart at once. heaven forbid you mix up the parts between carbs. ish ish ish ish. if memory serves, one carb has different jet sizes in it than the others for starters
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
          oh dear gawd, i hope you didnt take them all apart at once. heaven forbid you mix up the parts between carbs. ish ish ish ish. if memory serves, one carb has different jet sizes in it than the others for starters

Depends on what he/she has.

Comment

#3 has a different jet size on the 750
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I take them all apart at the same time.........

I really want to try sticking a set in the dishwasher, and see if that cleans them up nicely. I should probably try it before Larissa gets here, because I don't think a female would understand it quite so well.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I actually found this biodegradeable degreaser that is in a purple bottle that works AWESOME. Can't remember the name but it's kind of spendy. It looks as if it sandblasts the aluminum is the best way to describe it but it's not harsh chemicals. It has a greasy feel to it but hot water rinses it clean. I put all my carb parts in on container also, I found out the hard way about that odd cylinder so for new people one at a time is the best advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                  I have a 92 GSXF 600 Katana. All jet sizes the same? Couple of them are stripped. so i am going to buy.

Comment

Yes all your jets are the same. The pilot jets are what you were working. The main jets are what would be different if it was a 750.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                      #3 has a different jet size on the 750

Yes all your jets are the same. The pilot jets are what you were working. The main jets are what would be different if it was a 750.
                      Last edited by Kfreak; 09-20-2008, 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Anybody know where to buy carb cleaning tools locally? I tried napa and no go. Thanks.

Comment

What tools do you need other than what you already have?

Comment

What tools do you need other than what you already have?
                            Something like this.

Do I need this at all? I am going to put the carb bodies and needle in boling water today. I might not need it at all. Actually, my carb looked pretty clean. Thanks.

Comment

Forget about the tools. The carb is slick clean now. I put the carb bodies in boiling water. I cleaned the rest in seafoam. It is super clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X