X

non katana help (new problems added)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non katana help (new problems added)

i am helping my friend who i bought my kat from with his ninja 750 96 i believe. the bike ran fine last year then he parked it outside under a tarp for the winter. used winter stabilizer. now the bike wont start and is dumping out fuel from most places one is the exhaust pipe, header and even into the airbox. i am thinking stuck float and or bad spark plug. he put sea foam in. bike starts and then dies etc. any hints or ideas?

I think you kinda nailed it Surf...I'd say clean the carbs and definitely get new plugs... replace the oil, and charge the sucka with a tender

Comment

Yup......

Dumping fuel = stuck float...

Comment

ok so there was a stuck float. fixed it, cleaned the spark plugs. then tried to start it. got it running whole bunch of some liquid shot out of the exhaust. then had it running for a little bit more 2 seconds and this nasty mixture poured out the crankcase breather smelled like gas conisistency of oil. my guess is mixture. oil window looks full. so now the question is did the head go? is it possible that as my friend started it he forced gas into the oil causing the oil to be too much so i need to change the oil? or is it time to say to hell with it send it to a new mechanic? the other deal is the coolant

Comment

Originally posted by SurfinCR
          ok so there was a stuck float. fixed it, cleaned the spark plugs. then tried to start it. got it running whole bunch of some liquid shot out of the exhaust. then had it running for a little bit more 2 seconds and this nasty mixture poured out the crankcase breather smelled like gas conisistency of oil. my guess is mixture. oil window looks full. so now the question is did the head go? is it possible that as my friend started it he forced gas into the oil causing the oil to be too much so i need to change the oil? or is it time to say to hell with it send it to a new mechanic? the other deal is the coolant
          Antime you flood any vehicle, all that extra gas can seep past the rings and into the oil. It is advised that you do an oil change for sure.
          As for your question about the head....how was his coolant when he stored it for the winter? Was the coolant up to par to withstand extreme low temperatures? If he had bad coolant or sometime during last summer topped it off with just water, the coolant would freeze if it was too weak. And freezing can be enuff to crack a head. It might also just be the head gasket. Anyway, any kind of liquid coming out the exhaust is not a good sign at all. And with the way the exhaust is raised in the back end, it has to mean there is a fair amount of it. Check the coolant level. If it is way low, that is probably what it is. Either the head is cracked at a coolant passage somewhere, or the head gasket is gone. It will dump into the cylinders, then get blown out the exhaust.
          It is not always possible to see with your eye if the head is cracked. The head gasket is easier to spot. It usually lets go at the strip the psses between the cylinders. One way to rule out that the coolant froze and did damage is to test it with a hydrometer and see what the temperature rating is.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
          X