X

cdi box question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdi box question

ok so i have a 88 bike with the wiring being the same. i am upgrading most of the bike. i just picked up an 97 engine 600cc i didnt howver think to grab the cdi box, i have an 88 and 89 cdi kicking around would ethier of there work? the ronayers site has differnt numbers so my guess is not. but any help would be great.

-Chris

Originally posted by SurfinCR
    ok so i have a 88 bike with the wiring being the same. i am upgrading most of the bike. i just picked up an 97 engine 600cc i didnt howver think to grab the cdi box, i have an 88 and 89 cdi kicking around would ethier of there work? the ronayers site has differnt numbers so my guess is not. but any help would be great.

-Chris
    HEY CHRIS, I WAS WANDERING HOWS IT GOIN....IF YOU INSTALLED THE ENGINE, AND IF YOU WERE HAPPY..LET ME KNOW HOW YOURE DOING. ~LUKE
    (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

If the plugs are the same I'm about 99% sure any of them will work. I'm running a 2002 CDi with my built 771 engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
        If the plugs are the same I'm about 99% sure any of them will work. I'm running a 2002 CDi with my built 771 engine.
        The spark plugs change over in the '96 model year the resistor type (CR9EK), so the previous plugs, and CDI need to change, possibly the coils as well (check the outputs compared to the new specs).

SurfinCR see if you can get the stuff from other bike still...

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

LOL I meant the electrical plugs ON the CDI Cyber, not the spark plugs. And FYI, I'm running a 1987 GSXR 750 head with the old style spark plugs in my set up, no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
            LOL I meant the electrical plugs ON the CDI Cyber, not the spark plugs. And FYI, I'm running a 1987 GSXR 750 head with the old style spark plugs in my set up, no problems at all.
            An '87 with old style plugs makes sense... or did you mean a '97?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No, I am running a 1987 GSXR 750 head on my 771 engine I built. I wanted to use a 98+ Katana 750 head for the project but I didn't have any luck finding one. I didn't want to use a 990-92 GSXR head because they used the shim type rockers. A 1988-89 GSXR head wouldn't work because those were the sling shot heads. So my only options left were the 1986-86 GSXR 750 heads. They use the old style spark plugs and the old style spark plugs work just fine with a 2002 electrical system. I have a fully functional 771 engine that proves it. So far I have put 1,500 miles on it with out so much as a hiccup or backfire.

The big difference in CDIs is that in 2002 Suzuki went to a different style interface plug. So a 1998-2001 CDI WILL NOT PHYSICALLY WORK with a 2002-2005 electrical system. Which is why I advised SurfinCR to check the plugs on the CDIs he has access to because Suzuki might have done the same thing in the past.

Comment

But from what I understand, the 96-05 spark plugs actually are a different kind of spark plug (resistor type) that use a stronger signal from the CDI and a stronger coil step-up to spark. If this is the case and I understand it all correctly (I may not -- I haven't had my hands on the pre-96 systems), then the old-style CDI/coil combo won't drive the voltage hard enough to spark the new style plugs reliably. Simple enough to test though

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

An old system may not produce enough juice for new spark plugs, I really have no idea. All i know is a new system(2002 and up) drives old plugs just fine.

Comment

when i picked up the engine the bike was running the same plugs and coils as my 89 engine so that was why i was curious to see if i need to get a new one or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X