X

big clutch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big clutch problem

I have a 2006 suzuki katana 600. i have about 10700kms on it. got it last year and so far this year, i have had to do about 1 to 2 clutch adjustments a month. i dont know if i need new clutch plates or not. but everytime the clutch is set it goes back and i literally have no clutch. the friction zone is at the very end. most of my adjustments have been to factory settings but today i tried another clutch adjustment because i have no clutch again and i just cant get the friction zone close. i have small hands so i want it to be close. i even though about buying pazzo racing levers to have an adjustment, but i dont know what to do at this point. these adjustments are getting very frustrating. Is this normalto do this many adjustments and is the reach for the leaver supposed to be almost all the way out?
    Last edited by crazyboy754; 09-07-2008, 11:06 PM.

Nope, its not normal, and personally I would suspect your clutch cables probably starting to break or is stretching to hell. Disconnect the cluch cable from the clutch cover and see if its easy to move in/out. A new cables about 15 or 20 bucks I think from your local stealer.

Either that or one of the two adjusters are moving, possibly both, could take a marker and mark both the barrels, nut and the cover/handgrip and see if any of the marks move over a short time. <~~ this methods free
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

well i know for fact that its not the top thats loose cuz i tighten it with pliers but i tighten the bottom tight but i can check that. what would i have to take off to see if the cable is stretched? is it possible my clutch plates are gone or is it the cable you think?

Comment

I'd recommend just releasing the clutch cable where it goes into the cover., Just unbolt it and release the cable from the pawl. Pawl is the thing that the bitter end of the cable sits into. Move the clutch handle back and forth while holding onto the cable end. There should be little resistance. Tho if the cables frayed and only a few strands are left remaining, it might seem like things are ok.. Resistance should be even and clean throughout the pull. If theres any resistance, the cables probably hosed.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I checked the cable and its like new. I removed the cover where the cable pawl is and cleaned everything out real well. my clutch is very smooth now but there is nothing wrong with the cable and the clutch is still at the very end. I am starting to think its the clutch plates.

Comment

Have you followed my how to on this. Try that and see if it helps. If it does not help do has said above and replace your cable. I doubt your plates are gone. Takes a while for the plates to wear out unless you are drag racing all the time.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

i will give it a shot but if i double check my cable, how would i know if my cable is overstretched even though it looks good.

Comment

alright boys i have replaced the clutch cable. brand new one. but i found i was able to bring the frction zone in just a little closer but i still can't get it in where i want it. i think i may have to replace my clutch plates. they are probably worn but not toast so. thats whati think anyways. any other sugestions?

Comment

I find it hard to believe you need new friction plates at such low mileage. Unless your clutch was over adjusted and caused it too burn as you rode but it would slip like heck and you would know it. Maybe find a member close who has a little know how to trouble shoot.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I fixed the problem, after i put the new cable in did some fiddling around and i got it. the clutch is working very well. my only problem is that i have small hands so i need to get pazzo racing levers. thanks for everyones help

Comment

Glad the new cable helped along with the adjusting.

Comment

thanks man

Comment

Working...
                        X