X

Katana temp Guage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THAZKAT
    I just read this and was wondering,Cyber, is there a upgrade for the pre98 to push that 8.8 gallons?
    Aside from swapping the engines, there is no solution that I am aware of. The oiling systems are different, as are the pumps, from what I was told by Suzuki's people.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      I just read this and was wondering,Cyber, is there a upgrade for the pre98 to push that 8.8 gallons?
      Aside from swapping the engines, there is no solution that I am aware of. The oiling systems are different, as are the pumps, from what I was told by Suzuki's people.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Thank you, I thought they might have just changed the internal part of the pump to push more preasure. After I posted I realized that the pre98 washers and fittings might not hold up to the extra preasure.
      I haven't had a pump out of the bike, is it a centrafugal pump?
      Thom
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thom
        I haven't had one out of the Kat either, but Suzuki's reps have led me to believe that it's a dual-rotor centrifugal pump on the late models, with one path pushing oil into the engine and the other pushing it into the cooler lines. Some of the diagrams I've looked at cause me to question whether this is true... E.G. -- The factory oiling system diagrams indicaties that the pump feeds into the oil cooler and a second path to the oil pressure relief valve (which by-passes the cooler and feeds straight to the oil filter) and the oil pressure regulator (which releases additional pressure back to the sump); in normal operation, the oil filter is hit post-cooler, and oil filter output feeds a main galley (not to be confused with the sump or oil pan) that in turn feets the upper engine. If it sounds confusing, it's because it's hard to put the whole system design into words.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I hate to say it but HD uses the dual centrifugal pump also and it is driven by the crank drive. The only way the two rotors can move opposite of each other is if they are driven seperately. You are correct about two paths, if the top end received the same amount of oil as the lower end you would have major problems with blown oil seals. I thank you for the information and I would like to link to the reps. myself.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
            Figures. JC Whintey's page is down right now, but hey, if you get a PAPER catalog, you can get 10% off because if it!!!
            Here, I just found this and it goes up to 300*.
            Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

I like the fact it is digital.
            You must get this sending unit for it.
            Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

I have seen the racers at track day using engine temp gauges from the Remote Control field. They are 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch high and 3 inches wide. Digital read out and simple to hookup.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Here, I just found this and it goes up to 300*.

I like the fact it is digital.
              You must get this sending unit for it.

I have seen the racers at track day using engine temp gauges from the Remote Control field. They are 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch high and 3 inches wide. Digital read out and simple to hookup.
              I started with these gauges and they are crap. They go as high as 260 F and then just flash a scrolling phrase "HI". When I contacted the manufacturer about it, they were patently rude and made all sorts of comments about not being suitable for MC use. I also ran into issues with the "setting" mode and had to build a delay circuit for the gauge, because if the light circuit and the power to the gauge come on at the same time, it defaults into settings mode rather than displaying the temp. It might be quite suitable for a car, but not for the Kat...

PS - I now sell a custom VDO analog gauge solution with a 400 degree range that's weatherproof and suitable for the Kats. See CyberPoet's MotorcycleAnchor.com - Oil Temp Gauges for sale for details.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Actually, there's a write up in the tech section of either the newest issue of Rider or Motorcyclist that explains Suzuki's SACS [Suzuki Advanced Cooling System] used in the Kats, Bandits, and older GSXR's -- one side delivers low-volume/high-pressure oil to the head, the other side pumps high-volume/low-pressure oil through the cooler and then shoots it up onto the underside of the pistons & wrist-pins. The author goes on to explain that this is a very good system, as it helps ensure everything in the engine is running at very close temps to each other -- something that doesn't necessarily happen with water cooling, where differentials in temp can cause expansion rate differences that become problematic over time.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X