X

600 motor in a 1100 frame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 motor in a 1100 frame?

If one were to happen to have a kat 1100 frame and a kat 600 motor, how's the "doability factor" on putting the kat motor, electrics, etc on the 1100 frame, AND is there a swingarm other than the 100 that will fit the frame?

Thanks,

Chris

I imagine it would be doable, but you'd have some massive weight. I'd sell the 600 and find at least a 750cc. I imagine that would be a little closer to a correct fit. SpecialK could tell you more about this as he is the Katenstien authority.
    Life's tough.....even tougher when you're stupid.

Comment

Kat 1100 frame...would make a great boat anchor...aren't you going the OPPOSITE way my friend? People usually install larger engines in smaller frames

Comment

Do-able? Well, I guess..........but you'd want to knwo the year of both, and probalby use the 1100's wiring and all, just remember:

The CDI, carbs, & engine always go together. I also usually changed out the alternator so IT stays WITH THE WIRING. Don't want to over or under load the electrical system.........

But I'm like the above other guys.................WHY? It would be a heavy slow pig.

I've got 1100 engines here, and the 600 frames are pretty easy to locate and fairly cheap, even with a title you're normally talking only $400 TOPS.
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I was thinking that the 1100 frame was aluminum, and with gixxer forks, and the 600 motor, it would make a sweet streetfighter. (naked bike)
          I didn't it would weight all that much..

Originally posted by Special K
          Do-able? Well, I guess..........but you'd want to knwo the year of both, and probalby use the 1100's wiring and all, just remember:

The CDI, carbs, & engine always go together. I also usually changed out the alternator so IT stays WITH THE WIRING. Don't want to over or under load the electrical system.........

But I'm like the above other guys.................WHY? It would be a heavy slow pig.

I've got 1100 engines here, and the 600 frames are pretty easy to locate and fairly cheap, even with a title you're normally talking only $400 TOPS.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
            I was thinking that the 1100 frame was aluminum, and with gixxer forks, and the 600 motor, it would make a sweet streetfighter. (naked bike)
            I didn't it would weight all that much..

I'm not sure of the exact frame weight, but a gsx1100f weighs approximately 100-125lbs more than a gsx600f depending on model year. Anyone know exactly where that extra weight comes from? I'm guessing some is from the extra displacement, but where is the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari

I'm not sure of the exact frame weight, but a gsx1100f weighs approximately 100-125lbs more than a gsx600f depending on model year. Anyone know exactly where that extra weight comes from? I'm guessing some is from the extra displacement, but where is the rest?
              do you know if there is a compatible swingarm for the 1100?

Comment

Hey Chris, not to hijack a thread but did you ever receive those "items"???
                sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                MSF Rider Coach 27028
                MoPowerSports.com
                Torco
                SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                  My best guess would be heavier frame (to support the extra weight) and larger fuel tank (to offset the heavier consumption), plus applicable increases in the size/materials of the triple trees, steering stem, steering head bearings, etc., to cope with the weight difference. But that's all speculation...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've got 1100 engines here
                    Yeah, what's up with those 1100 engines? I still need one.
                    Life's tough.....even tougher when you're stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by GixerKat
                      Hey Chris, not to hijack a thread but did you ever receive those "items"???
                      No, I have not received those items yet.
                      I have a machine shop working on the adapters for me though!

Comment

Working...
                      X