X

Burning Oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Oil

So I have recently noticed that black smoke is coming from my right exhaust. After I noticed it I investigated it and it only creates little black smoke when reving it at 5000 and up. how can you fix that problem and is it worth fixing. This just recently happend.

On a sidenote... I don't have one of the header bolts tight, it is very loose because it stripped. Got it fixed and then it stripped again like butter...the guy didn't do such a good job. So the bolt is missing on the 3rd cylinder and the smoke is coming from the right so from cylinders 3 and 4. No smoke comes from the left side, nothing at all. Could it be because of the header bolt?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Re: Burning Oil

The way to tell if it's serious is to do a leak-down pressure test. This will establish whether the oil is coming past the rings (which would indicate worn rings).

Q: How much oil is it eating?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Close to none. Oil level is still just under the Full mark where I filled it up to a month ago. I can't tell the difference from a month ago in the level, just the colour of the oil. It darkened.
      1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Black smoke is usually fuel . Blue smoke is oil .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Check your airbox -- does it have a lot of oil build-up in it? This is usually an indication of worn rings as well...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Black smoke is usually fuel . Blue smoke is oil .
            +1

Add to this the fact that your bike isn't using much oil and I suspect it is a carb issue that is causing the smoke.
            1994 Kawasaki ZX6E

Comment

I do have to clean the carbs and i'll check the airbox.

Thanks for the help guys!
              1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

If you have black smoke, my guess is that you are running too rich. Ever notice a kerosene lantern that has too much wick exposed...it has black sooty smoke? If you crank down the wick, it stops smoking. It is a crude example, but same principal.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  If you have black smoke, my guess is that you are running too rich. Ever notice a kerosene lantern that has too much wick exposed...it has black sooty smoke? If you crank down the wick, it stops smoking. It is a crude example, but same principal.
                  Very crude. Where the hell are you from???? A French speaking area of Canadia or something????
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    Originally posted by Mojoe
                    Very crude. Where the hell are you from???? A French speaking area of Canadia or something????
                    it's the same principal....too much fuel, not enough air.
                    anyway...have no idea where that example came from. I must have had a brain fart and that popped into mind.

Comment

I hate when farts pop into my mind.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        I hate when farts pop into my mind.
                        I think I would be more disturbed if YOUR fart popped into my nostrils.

Comment

If the mixture is too rich by a LOT, would that effect idling? And how much would I turn the screws to make it less rich? 1/2 turn?
                          1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Depends on WHY it's rich . Could be at idle (then the screws would be turned in a 1/4-1/2 turn) , could be midrange (drop the needle a clip ) , or could be EVERYTHING (smaller main jet) . Bike been jetted ? I'd guess so judging by the mods in your profile . You fouling plugs ? Any shops near you with a dyno/EGA you could run on ? If you're running fine , and not fouling plugs , personally I wouldn't worry too much about it .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

My plugs are black after 1000km
                              1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X