X

running rich?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running rich?

so i was getting ready to take the kat on a 3 hour trip.she has 6000 miles on it, about 3000 on the oil. so i changed the oil and decided to peak in on the plugs.
    i pull the number 1 plug and it is all black. if i remember from my car days , that means it is running rich right?
    the only motor mod it has is the v+h slip on. the jets are factory set, and i hear that they are set to run lean.
    so i got to thinking that maybe it is an air flow retriction problem. so i check the air filter-looks good.

so what do you guys think , running rich?
    get a better air filter?
    i replaced the plugs with a hotter burning plug, in the hope that it will burn the stuff off more efficiently. good move or no?
    Last edited by KRAZYKAT; 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM.
    << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
    KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

bumpy

Comment

Is the insulator black at the very bottom or was that just by the threads?

Tmod

Comment

it was black at the bottom. where the diaodes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT View Post
          it was black at the bottom. where the diaodes are.
          You got me on this one what is a diaode? If you mean diode they are not on spark plugs. if you mean the ground strap that is on the sides of the center post and connected to the body then it can be black there but I am referring to down in the center insulator at the bottom with the spark plug inverted.

Spark plugs are not read at the end that is down in the engine, They are read slightly above the bottom of the insulator with the spark plug inverted.

Here is some reading for ya, http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ark-plugs.html

Oh another addition, This tool helps to read plugs

Tmod
          Last edited by Tmod; 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

that articale is too much man. plus i dont want to buy a special tool to read my plugs. all i want to know is , is it a sighn that the bike is running rich? should i get a better flowing air filter?
            with out all the smart *** english teacher, high tech, buy a special tool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT View Post
              that articale is too much man. plus i dont want to buy a special tool to read my plugs. all i want to know is , is it a sighn that the bike is running rich? should i get a better flowing air filter?
              with out all the smart *** english teacher, high tech, buy a special tool stuff.
              Oh I didn't notice that you wanted someone to do all this for you, Sometimes it takes tools and a little reading and you only get out of something the effort you put into it.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Tmod

Comment

listen obi won , i dont need any extra smack. that article you sent clearly states that you cant read a plug with the naked eye, you need that tool. so although it took 15 minutes of my life that im not going to get back, to read all of it; it did me no good. thanks anyway bookworm.
                i figure that with all of the know how we have on this site, someone should be able to tell me something useful.without sugesting that i go out and buy something im only going to use once. and im sure they could tell me in laymens terms.
                or i could go and try to buy a k+n, but all that would do is **** arsenic off.

Comment

Working...
                X