Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just replaced chain, now it whines on accel.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just replaced chain, now it whines on accel.

I just replaced the chain and sprocket. I got 18k+ out of the stock Suzuki chain on my 2003 Kat. I got an RK chain from sprocket center.com.

Is there a normal break in period for a new chain? There is a whine now when I accelerate. I lubed the chain and checked tension and it all looks good, just has the whine.

Is it something I should be concerned about?

Check the slack, you might have it too tight. Sould have about and inch to and inch and a half slack.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I'd double check the alignment also. The marks for the chain adjusters are rarely accurate, and if the chain isn't riding perfectly centered on the rear sprocket, you may notice a whine from the sideplates of the chain hitting the sprocket on one side.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

As others have already addressed, too tight, too loose, and not aligned could all result in the chain making noise. Slightly loose is better than slightly tight.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll check it out.

Comment

Had the same problem when I put my new rk chain on. It was just too tight.
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

had the same noise when i put my new chain on....found out it was the chain rubbing against the black rubber piece on the swingarm (the piece to prevent the chain hitting the swingarm i guess ??) was told that it had to wear in to conform with the new chain.....just might wanna check on that too

Comment

Working...
              X