X

Bar end question, removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar end question, removal

This may turn out to be a stupid question, but here goes.

How do the bar ends on a pre-98, specifically 88, Katana come off? Is the bar end itself threaded and need to be turned, or is there a screw going up the middle of the end? If its a screw, would it be allen head or torx or something besides a simple flat or phillips?

I've got new grips to go on my bike, and will be putting new bar ends on as well, so I'm not worried about damaging the old ones getting them off. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

On my 2000 I only had to undo the bold. The wieghts were not threaded. The screws were hard to undo, alot of threadlock I suppose.

Comment

SHOULD be a screw , and it's PROBABLY an allen . SHOULD also be a major PAIN to get them off if they've never been off before . Might want to pick up and impact driver before you strip the threads ...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know on my 98 the bar ends were fitted on with a phillips head screw. I just took the correct sized phillips scredriver (rather large one at that) and made sure it had the hex thingy at the base of the hande, then got the correlating open ended wrench, cranked on that puppy (counterclockwise) and it came off. You just need to make sure the screwdriver is firmly pressed into the screw as you turn it. But - that's for the 98+
        Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Comment

When they locktight those screws on, its a royal pain in the arse to get them off. I had a helluva time since I didnt have an impact driver at the time. I took the biggest size screwdriver I had to fit, and then just slowly applied as much force in and twisted little by little so as not to strip the head.

Comment

Can anyone tell me the purpose of bar ends? My early 1980 model Yamaha's didn't have them. Not all modern bikes have them. From pictures, it looks like some of the cruiser or tourning bikes just have chrome-trimmer end covers.

I can guess the purpose. If the bike falls, it protects the grip from damage, and its an extension in the width of the bar, so when the bike is down, it rests on the bar end, rather than completely on the bodywork.

Anyone know when bar ends came into use?

Also, I've got to go outside and check my bike again, but if mutt1970 had to ask whether or not there was a screw to turn, and was it Phillips or something else, it must not be apparent WHERE that screw is.

Comment

Bar ends add weight to the bars for stability. Your bike should not lay on its side anyhow.

Comment

The Bar ends really help get rid of some of the vibration through the bars. If you were to replace them with lighter ones, you would notice a lot more vibration.

If you do not have access to impact tools, I would suggest getting a big arse set of pliers or something of the like, and twist on the bar end itself to see if that would help.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

When buyin new bar ends, do the weights and screws come with it? I lost my right one and I wanna know if I get the weight separately from the cover.

Comment

if you want to replace a bar end for looks, and still want function, just fill the handlebars with BBs from a BB gun. Not loosely, pack em in there. You will not be dissatisfied.
                    Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Comment

Originally posted by kaibigan
                      When buyin new bar ends, do the weights and screws come with it? I lost my right one and I wanna know if I get the weight separately from the cover.
                      The Bar-Ends are the weights, not sure about the screws, but the hardware store would have them.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

I replaced my bar ends with custom made ones and they look good but I did get alot more vibration in my handle bars. I melted the lead out of the old bar ends along with some old fishing weights and formed them to fit inside my bars. BIG difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X