Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapped plug wires- white smoke

88 1100

so i had 2 cold pipes, and ran rich.
    so i cleaned out my carb reeeeeal good, set it at 2.25 turns, at swapped the plug cables for the 2 cold pipes.

fired it up and all pipes are warm now. but after a few seconds idling, white smoke starts to billow out from the front fairing, and come out the right exhaust pipe.

now the smoke from the fairing looks to me like its oil burning off from the exhaust pipes just after they come off the engine (but then the question begs to be asked, what was it doing there?)

the white smoke firing out from the exhaust doesnt seem to have much of a smell to it, and it fires out at an intermittent rate, leading me to believe its from only one cylinder.

I know for a fact this bike has been run for a few hundred Km with the plug wires swapped and the firing for those 2 cylinders messed.

could the white smoke be excess fluid from inside the cylinder burning off?
    i have not driven the bike in this condition, nor have i allowed it to idle for more than a minute or so

any help would be appreciated
    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

I bet it is burning off the excess fuel. This happens if you mix seafoam too strong as well. If your oil looks good, not thinned down, I would let it run. Also be prepared to get new plugs, in fact they might not be burning at peak performance if they were really fouled. A new set might speed up those 2 cylinders. Those should be replaced.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

so then in your opinion i'm probably not going to muck anything up if i just let it crap out white smoke for a while?
      charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

hmm.

So i took it out for a boot up the street.
        definitively solved my power and acceleration issues by swapping those 2 plugs.
        i've never been more intimidated by a vehicle's power before. my *** shifted back about 8 inches in first gear.

found out where the smoke was from (from the front anways) the flange connecting the exhaust pipe to the engine was not connected. it had one bolt loosely in, , and one missing. the plate was just flopping around. i dont have another bolt handy, so i tightened the one that was there, and it greatly minimized the smoke from the front, but i'm still getting white smoke from cylinder 3 for some reason
        i replaced the plug from cylinder 3, it didnt look too bad but i did it anyway. cyl 4 was still shiny and pretty so i let it be.

still have smoke coming out the exhaust :P

doesnt like to idle, and it died while slowing down a few times
        advice?

Comment

are you sure you cleaned the carbs REAL good? Make sure your tank isn't rusty and plugging your jets again after u start it. I learned that the hard way.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

i used safety kleen initially for the sake of my hands (they're pretty cool) and i had a sluggish power issue. i cleaned the carbs last night with carb cleaner, even though they still looked sparkling clean still. set the float heights to 14mm and reinstalled. i'm contemplating just replacing my carbs altogether, but i dont know where i could get a full assembly or what would be compatible.

The reason i say this is because from D+I on my carbs, there seems to be overall wear on most components. the main jet needles have wear marks on only one side ( a little scuff about 3mm long), the rubber boot on cyl 2 freely (albeit with a slight bit of resistance) spins and has been repaired with bathroom grade silicone, one float arm is broken for cyl 4, but appears to have been haphazardly repaired with a lighter. the jet needle seats are ugly, and the carbs seem to have had a jet kit installed by the previous owner. trying not to sound insulting, but he didnt have a clue what he was doing on this bike- i've spent the last 2 months mopping up his mechanical and electrical blunders

the white smoke is reducing in volume but is still present. i'm hoping this is something that will subside with riding. If it does, i believe this is the last mechanical adventure i need to undertake for a while. despite idling rough, the bike performs terrifyingly well, more than enough to take my personal view on the bike and throw it out the window. it may be at the point where i can just dump it off at a relatively local bike mechanic and have it tuned up. i hate having someone else work on my machines- its like having another man screw my wife so i can watch TV. But just for once i'd like to leave my tank and carbs where they are.

Comment

Working...
            X