X

Starter bit the big one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter bit the big one

Hey guys, I have full battery power & when I hit my start button the starter solenoid just clicks. I can put the bike in 1st, let out the clutch and give the bike a swift push. Then when I hit the start button the starter is trying to crank over but it's making a horrible metal against metal sound. Do you think the starter is toast?? Or would it be the "starter clutch" on the end of the starter?
    Is the starter hard to get out? Do I have to drain the engine oil & remove the side crankcase cover?? Thanks ya'll, I can't wait to get riding again.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

no the starter really couldn't be easier to get out it's two bolts. The starter clutch has nothing to do with the starter, it's not on it at all. This is a starter clutch:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...244590171&rd=1
    I have the starter, the relay, and the starter clutch, when you figure out what you need, PM me.
    If you need any part of the starter clutch, you just need this:
    Last edited by arsenic; 08-29-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      no the starter really couldn't be easier to get out it's two bolts. The starter clutch has nothing to do with the starter, it's not on it at all. This is a starter clutch:

I have the starter, the relay, and the starter clutch, when you figure out what you need, PM me.
      If you need any part of the starter clutch, you just need this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MESE:IT
      I already removed the two bolts but the starter feels like it's "hanging up" in there. I can't move it back but maybe about 2-3 mill.

Originally posted by gimmefuel View Post
      I already removed the two bolts but the starter feels like it's "hanging up" in there. I can't move it back but maybe about 2-3 mill.
      Oh, and I am new to this. How do I PM??? Duh!!!
      Last edited by gimmefuel; 08-29-2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

PM stands for "private message" just click on my name and hit "send private message"
        just wiggle it around, it'll come out.

Comment

Oh okay. I will try & wiggle it harder. (This is sounding kinda funny) I thought there was a gear or something that bolted to the end of the starter thats in the engine. So you just slide the starter out and the new one slides back in??? Just like that???
          ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

yup

Comment

Strangely enough, mine pulled something similar Tuesday. Went to start it and click click click. Thursday morning it kicked off fine and I rode to school. When I went to leave at 3:30, click click click. Checked the battery terminals to make sure they were tight, hot battery. So I put the key back in the ignition, hit the start button click. After I jiggled the key for a few seconds and tried it again, the engine fired up and off I went. Starter or ignition switch?

Comment

Your starter may be on it's way out. Since a starter is essentially just an electric motor, it has brushes and contacts inside of it that wear out. The reason yours is cranking sometimes and clicking others is where the position of the brushes are inside the starter. On the worn out part or on the part thats still good. Mine kinda started out like that and now it won't work at all. Beware.
                ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comment

Working...
                X