X

Throttle play got BAD....!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle play got BAD....!

So I replaced a brake lever today and all of a sudden, after a test drive, my throttle play was way out of whack. I did my own valve adj 2 months ago, then took it in to get a carb sync. i have'nt had a prob with it at all until today. I checked the barrel ends of the cables at the bar end and they were attatched correctly. It must be something up with the carb end of the cables. It doesnt catch until real late in the "twist" and doesnt pop back like it used to. I am worried its something big. I need this baby to last me for school!! Next step is to remove all the fairings and gas tank and inspect the throttle cables down there.

Any experience or assumptions on what to do?

yep inspect the cables and adjusters on the carbs
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah. I was wondering what else would make it do that. I guess I am trying to determine worst case senarios
      (other than little green men cutting my cables and crapping on my plans)

Comment

adjustment at the carbs, or possibly a broken cable. Should be able to take the tank off without taking the fairings off.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

really! now that would save some time. i just assumed i had to remove fairings b/c of the tight fit. some service guy adjusted my carbs so maybe he didnt tighten the lock nuts. At least i hope......

Comment

Someone else can chime in and correct me, but I think you just need to take the seat off, unscrew the two bolts at the base of the tank, and it will pivot up. Disconnect the fuel lines and fuel level sensor then put the tank somewhere else. Just remember to have a couple of 2x4's ready so that when you set it down you don't rest it on the petcock.

Ah... there are two pop-in tabs on each side....

You may have to remove a couple of bolts holding the large fairings on to make enough room to pull those out. Still quicker than starting with the mirrors, belly pan, ect.
            Last edited by Cheriff; 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Thanks alot Cheriff, you saved me at least an hour of plastic removal and replacement. I would never have remember about the push tabs.
              Throttle cables were disconnected, retightened and good to go.

Thread closed

Comment

Working...
              X