• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for some routine maintainence help

Hi,

I have a 2000 Katana 750 (GSX750F), and am planning to do the following:

1) Change the oil & the oil filter
    2) Change the air filter

As I have never done these on a bike, I have some questions.

First, what fairings do I need to complelely remove in order to do these tasks? My guess is that the bottom fairing must come off to do the oil change, and that the side fairings must come off in order to replace the oil & air filters. Also, it looks like the gas tank needs to be removed to access the air filter as well.

Are my guesses correct? If not can you guys help me out by telling me what the best way to do these tasks is?

Also, the bike has about 15K on it, so I was thinking of a fuel filter replacement as well --- problem is, I don't know where it is...

Anyway, I would very much appreciate any help/info you guys could give me.

Thanks in advance,

-Attila

Yea bottom has to come off.

Sides do not have to come off for oil/filter change. Since the header pipes go around the filter you can't get to it from the side (well unless you remove the header and don't do that) just get a filter adapter that fits on the top of the filter and you can remove it with a ratchet. I recommend 2 filter adapters for the job one that just fits snuggly on the top to tighten and then an adapter that clamps down as you loosen for removal, because it can be very difficult to remove a filter from these bikes since you must tighten them much more than a cars filter.

You just have to unbolt a few screws on the top of the side/main fairings to get the air filter out and replaced. The good news for you is that when you take those bolts out of the fairings you can than easily remove the gas tank and replace the fuel filter since you have to lift the rear of the tank in order to get the filter out anyway.

Take a look around the forum for the Service Manual (it is a sticky I believe) you can down load it and it will have instructions on how to do everything for you bike with pics and all.

Good Luck with your maintenance.
    "It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them"

KatRider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Uloset, a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comment

Great -- thanks for the info!

-Attila

Comment

where are you ? prolly someone close than can hold your hand thru the first maint.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
        X