X

Hard clutch pull

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard clutch pull

I noticed that my clutch is very tough to pull compared to other bikes...even other katana's. So I pulled apart everything and it wasn't the cable or the worm gear...it's just the springs in the clutch then I think...is there any way to make this an easier pull? The bike only has 3200 miles on it, its a 92 600 kat...maybe the low miles are a reason. Any suggestions?

Are you sure your not pulling the break lever????
    And change your location, your not in Duluth no more!!!!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'd be interested in the answer since I have a similar problem with a hard to pull clutch. My left hand is getting pretty strong though My bike has around 30K miles and I was thinking maybe a previous owner put a high perf clutch or something.
      92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Bone, I noticed that mine is firm too, but doesn't feel "To Firm". it may just need to be lubed. Corey and I are off this weekend, so come on down, and we'll get it figured out. I know that I am going to need to order a new clutch cable, maybe you need one too. I am sure though that it may just need some lube as long as that bike was sitting though.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
            Bone, I noticed that mine is firm too, but doesn't feel "To Firm". it may just need to be lubed. Corey and I are off this weekend, so come on down, and we'll get it figured out. I know that I am going to need to order a new clutch cable, maybe you need one too. I am sure though that it may just need some lube as long as that bike was sitting though.
            the cable defintly needs to be lubed, i had the same problem,but it not a really easy fix,i removed the cable from the the clutch lever and then taped a funnel to it,poured in some oil,then pulled the cable out of the top of the clutch housing used pliers to hole the wire and moved the cable up and down a lot of times,this will take patience and time!

Comment

I have a 94 600 with the same problem, hard to pull but springs back quick. I just pulled the cable off an it very very hard to pull, the cable is jacked. I'm getting a new cable first thing Tues. I'll update after its installed.

Comment

You may find (if you bother to tear into your clutch) that the previous owner installed Barrett springs on the clutch, which are more forceful than OEM clutch springs.

It shouldn't be the OEM springs just getting "old", because springs normally get weaker or stay the same with age (exception: if all the clutch pads are very thin and the plates are heavily worn, the extra throw may make it hard to pull).

On the other hand, it could simply be that the lever is slightly bent, or the OEM pivot bolt has been replaced with one that has threads it's whole length and that has been overtightened...

Two quick fixes ():

Good luck with it...
                Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A third option for you guitar players . I used to use one of these . They fit in your pocket ... BTW Cyber , that was the first thing that popped in my head when this thread began ! I just didn't know what that thing was called or where to find a pic !
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Put the new cable on today, its a little bit easier but sill harder then I would like. I'll replace the cluch and springs next. The bike has 20k miles and it may be due for a cluch change.

Comment

Working...
                    X