X

No plug wires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No plug wires?

I'm new to bikes, so this may be a dumb question. So far I've asked a few of them. I haven't been able to find any plug wires, do they come attached to the coils like it looks on Bikebandit.com's diagram of elecrical?
    http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...0FM+KATANA.asp

If so I have to buy coils if the wires go bad. I haven't had a chance to take my 91Kat 600 apart yet.
    It's not speed that kills, it's trying to stop!

91 Katana 600f gunmetal and blue
    92 Mazda Miata (LANEWVR)
    New!! 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c194/Devilln/

nope you can buy just the wire and thread it into your caps and coils. By the way I replaced the wires on my ninja and couldnt beleave the diffrence.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=41209
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

so this may be a dumb question
      LaneWvr In my very strong opinion there is no such thing!!!

Cory are you sure this works with the Kat??
      Plug wire is very cheap!! If you buy a roll LaneWvr maybe some of use will buy the rest from you..

Comment

You can get appropriate spark plug wire from any auto parts store -- just pay attention to what the resistance value of the wire should be (according to the manual) compared to what you are buying; it should be the same rating.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          You can get appropriate spark plug wire from any auto parts store -- just pay attention to what the resistance value of the wire should be (according to the manual) compared to what you are buying; it should be the same rating.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          you mean you don't know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
            Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            you mean you don't know!!!

I mean that plug wire can come in different varieties with different resistance values... and officially, no, I haven't memorized the value for the pre-96 Kats because I haven't had to deal with it... nor have I memorized the 96 - 05 values either, because I have the reference on the shelf if I need it.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just kidding you CP!!
              You are such a font of information, I couldn't resist!

Do you however know that the wires can
              be replaced??

999!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Do you however know that the wires can
                be replaced??
                Of course they can be -- it's just a bit of a PIA because they are normally integrated into the coils.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry, I guess what I meant was can you replace them with bulk wire. Do the plug ends disassemble or are they molded to the wire..

I havent looked that close..

Comment

they can be replaced.

Just make sure you use copper core wires and not the fiber core ones. I had a heck of a time finding copper core wires as the fiber core ones are almost exclusively used nowadays due to them creating less electrical interference. I found some of the right wire at an old plane restoration place. I think most speed shops or big bike dealers should have it too.

Just don't use the fiber core wires!! I did at first and almost caught on fire (lots of charred electrical bits)

Comment

I think the wire that places like Dennis Kirk must be right, no??

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiman555
                        Just don't use the fiber core wires!! I did at first and almost caught on fire (lots of charred electrical bits)
                        I'm not sure if this is still true for the 96-05 Kats since they switch to a resistor-type spark plug. Just check the manual and make sure you match the spec

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thank you, cause I don't want to spend $150 for wires. My bike 6 times now has missed and backfired at full throttle! My first thought is to do tune up and replace fuel filter, so I'll try those wires.
                          It's not speed that kills, it's trying to stop!

91 Katana 600f gunmetal and blue
                          92 Mazda Miata (LANEWVR)
                          New!! 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville
                          http://photobucket.com/albums/c194/Devilln/

Comment

Originally posted by LaneWvr
                            Thank you, cause I don't want to spend $150 for wires. My bike 6 times now has missed and backfired at full throttle! My first thought is to do tune up and replace fuel filter, so I'll try those wires.
                            If your bike afterfires (out the exhaust, as verses to backfires which route through the airbox) at full throttle, then you're probably looking at bad carb settings, dirty carbs, or possibly simply a dirty air filter. I'd start with the cheapest/easiest item to get to -- the air filter. But you're right, it could be the spark plug wires... get in there with a multimeter and check 'em

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X