X

This is really confusing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really confusing

My 95 750 sat all winter with gas in the tank (and Sta-bil). I have been able to start it with no trouble fo about 3 days (since I got the battery charged again). The only trouble was that it would idle around 4000 until it got hot, then it idled ok, which I assumed was because it was a little gummed up.

Since I was going to be taking it to the machine shop to have the broken peg bolt removed, I went and got a couple gallons of 97 octane to help with the gas. I put it in and it sat over night. Then when I tried to start it, all it would do is crank and then backfire. If I crank it 3 or 4 seconds and stop it backfires about 3 seconds after I stop. The new gas is the only change.

Since this I have drained and removed the tank. I opened the tops of the carbs and sprayed carb cleaner in there as well as in the mouths of the carbs. When I cranked nothing. Then I added some gas to the 2 lines and aging it backfires.

Today I sprayed starter fluid in the filter hole and again it doesn't try to start just a delayed back fire. (tank is still off)

What could have happened? What can I do?
    1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Open the bottom of the carbs and drain them out.

Your problems could include:
    water (condensation) sinking to the bottom of the tank, then the carbs, finally filling up the float bowls some.
    Rust in the tank moving down into the bowls (if you find an orange paste, this is what gas-tank rust usually looks like).
    Bad fuel (new or old).
    Too much bio-organic sediment (gasoline has bacteria in it that eat fuel -- stabil helps prevent their going bonkers, but given time and especially warm weather, they have at it, leaving the fuel less likely to burn).

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Can the carbs be drained without removal?

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
        Can the carbs be drained without removal?
        Not normally by normal humans. I'm sure someone knows how to do it with a very long reach tool, but 'taint me... Either way, you want to open them up to find out what's in them.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you should have a screw on the bottom of each of the bowls for draining them. it is the onethat points to the side. You only need to unscrew them 1-2 turns.
          PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
          The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

by the way if you dont know what you are doing with carbs you probably shouldnt mess with them. It is really easy to screw them up. and by the way tou dont ever want to spray carb cleaner on the diaphrams on top of the carbs it will make them swell and when you try to put the covers back on there is a good chance that they wont seat right.
            PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
            The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

And change your plugs . They're probably fouled .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ok, I sprayed carb cleaner in the drain holes and red stuff came out. Then I cleaned the plugs. It started fine and runs excellent now. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
                  Ok, I sprayed carb cleaner in the drain holes and red stuff came out. Then I cleaned the plugs. It started fine and runs excellent now. Thanks guys.
                  That means rust in the tank.

See: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto..._tankrust.html

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A handy tip for draining the carbs without making a mess. Using a set of large set of hemostats place a piece of vacuum line on the drain. The turn the screw and let the gas drain into a bowl of some kind. The vacuum line will start getting soft after awhile because of the gas and it will slide off of the drain. But, it will work long enough to drain the four carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace280
                      A handy tip for draining the carbs without making a mess. Using a set of large set of hemostats place a piece of vacuum line on the drain. The turn the screw and let the gas drain into a bowl of some kind. The vacuum line will start getting soft after awhile because of the gas and it will slide off of the drain. But, it will work long enough to drain the four carbs.
                      Nice addition on a how to for that Ace. I have plenty of those around here since my wife is a nurse.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                      X