X

Coil, CDI or Signal Generator? Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil, CDI or Signal Generator? Help!

I recently bought a 1998 Katana 750 unmodded. The bike ran great no probs. But I rode about 150 miles round trip the other day and parked it. The next day it had troubles starting and idled rough (like missing), suddenly it smoothed out and ran fine for a couple minutes, then back to the rough idle. If i didn't give it throttle, it would stall.
    Anyway, I wasn't sure what the prob was... so i changed plugs, cleaned connectors, even changed oil, and fuel filter. Same prob.
    I then checked exhaust manifold and noticed that cyl 1 and 4 were cold, while 2 and 3 were hot. Narrowed to the coils. Checked voltage going into coils. 2 and 3 get volts at key on and cranking. 1 and 4 coil is zero and key on and fluctuates between 2 and 4 volts during cranking. So to me, seems like there is a problem somewhere before the coils.
    I found (what i think) is the CDI behind the Lt Rear faring (black box about 3x4 with lots of wires), but i cannot find the sig generator. I looked for the 'yellow and black' wires but could not locate it.
    Before I go any further, does anyone have any ideas? similar probs?
    Please Help! I wanna ride!!!

The signal generators (pick-up coils) are located behind the right side front engine cover I believe. Incidently, I think both ignition coils should have voltage with the key on...
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Update. I crossed the coils and narrowed down to the white wire on coil 1&4 was not getting power. I traced the wires all the way back to the cdi box. There I checked with a voltmeter to ensure there was power. There was power! Now i checked for continuity. There was through the line. But then when i checked back at the coil, there was power! Started right up with no probs.
      Here's the deal... I already cleaned the connectors for just about everything. So either this is a random problem that can happen at any time.. or just the movement of the wires may have re-established any lost connections.
      I hope it was a connection... i sure don't want to be stuck somewhere with this prob.

Comment

mrmayhem did you add a dab of electrial grease on the connectors you checked??

Also check to see if the force needed to connect/diconnect them is consistant.
        (indicating a loose connectio)
        You may also notice a frayed or loose crimp at the connector itself.

Comment

When I cleaned the connectors, I didn't see any signs of corrosion, but I did use Di-electric grease on all the connections. The connections at the coil seem pretty tight... at the CDI box it is one large connector that fits pretty snug.
          I ran it last night to the gas station, and after filling and restarting, for a moment it did the same 'misfire' thing... but pumping the throttle a couple times stopped it. When i arrived home i let it idle, while i manipulated the high beam switch on and off. As I did this, a couple of times it would go into that 'misfire' mode for a sec.
          You think my CDI box might be on the blink?
          Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmayhem
            but I did use Di-electric grease on all the connections.
            Good man!!

Originally posted by mrmayhem
            When i arrived home i let it idle, while i manipulated the high beam switch on and off. As I did this, a couple of times it would go into that 'misfire' mode for a sec.
            OK that's weird... but maybe a good clue?

Comment

Working...
            X