X

Tire Longevity / another @^%$ tire question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Longevity / another @^%$ tire question

Prelude: The tires on my bike are D207's, OEM from 2000, and have 4K on them with 1/2 tread life left. I see no visible dry rotting and they hold air PSI. In the research I've done 5 years is the replacement date before new regardless of tire condition due to rubber grip life expectancy.

Question: How many years would "you" use a tire, taking into consideration the research you have done, before replacing it regardless of tread left at that given year (assuming the tire has 1/4 tread or more left and your bike is garage kept).

Thanks for your input!
    3 years
    0%
    4 years
    0%
    5 years
    0%
    6 years
    0%
    Years doesn't matter. Use it until the tread is gone.
    0%
    Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Well , if it ain't dry-rotted , I'd probably ride on them . If they were old and I KNEW it though , I'd probably take it kinda easy until I got some GOOD tires on there .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Maximum 5 years from date of tire manufacture, which is imprinted on the side as a three or four digit code. Reason is simple: the compounds contain VOC (volitile organic compounds) that evaporate over time, robbing the rubber of it's flexibility. Personally, I've never had a tire last long enough for this to be an issue, but I have gotten bikes with old tires on them -- and promptly replaced them. Whether you choose to sell the old tires on eBay or not is a different story, but if you do, be honest about the age of the tire -- someone will still want at least the rear just as a burn-out tire to burn through.

KNOW THIS:
      Being garage kept makes no difference in the 5 year lifespan, since the air still evaporates the VOC's, although it does reduce the odds of certain other problems (such as mold).
      There are far better tires out there for that bike to be had

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man, I wish a tire could last 5 years and not just through 1 season of riding. I know someone who goes through 2 a season on an SV1000S. That's rough.
        Dude, if I could swim, I'd be a Pirate.

Comment

I replaced mine after 4 years just because I didn't want to push it. I am glad I can ride that long on a set of tires

Comment

The CyberPoet Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:31 pm Post subject: ----------------------------------- Maximum 5 years from date of tire manufacture
            That's some real good info, thanks!. I never looked that closely a the tires codes other than directional arrow. Very good input so far. I ride 80 miles a day on tires so I guess I don't want any misforture to come my way due to rubber.
            Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

Originally posted by armor_dan
              Man, I wish a tire could last 5 years and not just through 1 season of riding. I know someone who goes through 2 a season on an SV1000S. That's rough.
              Really ? I just got this tire mounted a few weeks ago , and I'm planning on having another one mounted around Gap time (whether this on'es done yet or not) . I'll be sure to finish BOTH of those by the end of the year , and MAYBE be on a THIRD rear tire ...
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Years? Damn, bro.

Bottom line for me is if you dont' 100% trust your tires with your life then get 'em changed out. What's the cost, compared with the alternative?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

BISQ Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:42 am Post subject: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Years? Damn, bro.
                  Bottom line for me is if you dont' 100% trust your tires with your life then get 'em changed out. What's the cost, compared with the alternative?
                  Understood. Just invested $245 in Pilot Power tires front and rear. Should be on the bike within 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X