X

Busted choke cable, weird idle: problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted choke cable, weird idle: problems

When I start the bike the bike idles around 4000, I have to move the choke cable around to bring it back to normal around 1100

The choke cable is going to be replaced this weekend.

But, could the choke also be responsible for the weird idling I've been having lately? When I'm riding and I come to a stop the bike will idle at around 2000, I blip the throttle and it will come back down to around 1100-1200, but when I blip the throttle again it comes down to around 500 and bogs a bit but doesn't die.

I suspect it's fouled plugs due to the busted choke cable that gets stuck sometimes.

2002 Kat 600, 7400 kms

eddie.

how much do spark plugs go for at the dealership?

Re: Busted choke cable, weird idle: problems

Originally posted by eduardo02
    When I start the bike the bike idles around 4000, I have to move the choke cable around to bring it back to normal around 1100

The choke cable is going to be replaced this weekend.
    Good, you're on the right track.

But, could the choke also be responsible for the weird idling I've been having lately? When I'm riding and I come to a stop the bike will idle at around 2000, I blip the throttle and it will come back down to around 1100-1200, but when I blip the throttle again it comes down to around 500 and bogs a bit but doesn't die.
    I doubt the problem of how it acts under 2k RPM is related to the choke cable as such -- more likely to be dried fuel residues in the carbs, an overly-tight or sticking throttle cable, and/or a minor vacuum leak.

how much do spark plugs go for at the dealership?
    Depends on the dealership. Prices vary from $5 to $8 for the stock plugs, $10 to $16 for the irridium plugs. Until you get the problem resolved, I wouldn't bother with the irridium plugs.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Alright, thanks.

Is it difficult to pull the choke cable out and install the new one?
      Should I put a dab of oil on the new plugs when I install them?

eddie.

Comment

Is it difficult to pull the choke cable out and install the new one?
        Should I put a dab of oil on the new plugs when I install them?
        Choke is the simplest cable to replace, but you need to remove the gas tank to do it.
        As for the plugs, smear the threads with a bit of antiseize paste (not motor oil) and be careful not to over-torque them. They don't get seated very hard.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Don't "smear" the anti-seize on them things , I've read that a dab will do nicely ! ASnd I got plugs for only a few dollars a piece at Auto Zone , screw the dealer . Yep , NGK's for less than $15 a set .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Don't "smear" the anti-seize on them things , I've read that a dab will do nicely ! ASnd I got plugs for only a few dollars a piece at Auto Zone , screw the dealer . Yep , NGK's for less than $15 a set .
            MD is correct on the amount of anti-seize -- I guess I wasn't clear with the "bit" comment.

Meanwhile, MD, pre-96 plugs are much cheaper than the CR9EK used as the '96 - '05 plugs (I doubt you could find a set of four for $15 anywhere on the planet -- under $18 maybe, but I doubt $15) -- but the tip about trying to go through your local auto parts store to save a few bucks is spot on.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great, thanks guys.
              I'll post up how the bike is running after the changes.

eddie.

Comment

I disagree about the choke being the "simplest" cable to replace. It can be a bear at the handlebar.
                Best advice:
                Remove the two screws holding the bar to the clip on bracket and slide the pod off. (this saves you from removing the grip )
                Routing the cable inside the pod and wraping it corectly on the lever can be hard with it in place.
                Removing the pod gives you lots of room to work.

I know the carb end is different than on mine but use care when removing/ replacing the conection at the carb. My 95 choke mechanism at the carb is a bit flimsy and took some fittling to work with out binding.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  Originally posted by md86
                  MD is correct on the amount of anti-seize -- I guess I wasn't clear with the "bit" comment.

Meanwhile, MD, pre-96 plugs are much cheaper than the CR9EK used as the '96 - '05 plugs (I doubt you could find a set of four for $15 anywhere on the planet -- under $18 maybe, but I doubt $15) -- but the tip about trying to go through your local auto parts store to save a few bucks is spot on.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Oh , I didn't think about the different plug size . Sucks to be you guys ! Yeah , I NEVER seem to spend more than like $15 for a set of plugs .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X