X

well just had my first spill today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well just had my first spill today

its true i made the mistake of treating the kat like a dirtbike as soon as i hit that grass at 20mph the bike went straight down 10 ft in front of my house which wouldn't of been too bad but 2 of my neighbors saw the whole thing go down...literally. After i recovered from my shame i started it to check the idle it didn't start up immeditally but fired up on the second round and all cylindars were hitting however it had a different sound to it (maybe the sewing machine sound?) on the plus side the transmission shifts smoother than ever (i can actually feel the gears now) so could this just be from the oil sloshing around? or even worse a bent valve? well it give it a dry run when i get a new mirror. i know i got off cheap its good though because i've been accepting way too much risk in my daily riding
    i'll post again tommorow if its still making that sound

Re: well just had my first spill today

It probably will back to usual tomorrow...

The biggest problem with dropping the bike is that the fuel from the carbs usually pours off into either the airbox or into the cylinders (or both). The fuel in the cylinders can sink down into the oil (common) and you should probably plan on doing an oil change in the near term future, irrelevant of when you last did one or had one done. You also need to drain your airbox drain (2 minute process -- don't put it off).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That sucks, very embarrisng. I had a similar accident. I used to park my bike on the sidewalk in front of my apt. There is a 3 or 4 inch diff between sidewalk and grass, as I tried to get it on the sidewalk I spun the bake tire it slide to the leftdown the slope, the bike tilted and the frt brake handle hit my grill and broke at the bolt. I didn't drop it but a coupe of niehbors saw and laughed their asses off. Those handles are weak.
      It's not speed that kills, it's trying to stop!

91 Katana 600f gunmetal and blue
      92 Mazda Miata (LANEWVR)
      New!! 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville
      http://photobucket.com/albums/c194/Devilln/

Comment

Re: well just had my first spill today

Originally posted by icekillah
        its true i made the mistake of treating the kat like a dirtbike as soon as i hit that grass at 20mph the bike went straight down 10 ft in front of my house which wouldn't of been too bad but 2 of my neighbors saw the whole thing go down...literally. After i recovered from my shame i started it to check the idle it didn't start up immeditally but fired up on the second round and all cylindars were hitting however it had a different sound to it (maybe the sewing machine sound?) on the plus side the transmission shifts smoother than ever (i can actually feel the gears now) so could this just be from the oil sloshing around? or even worse a bent valve? well it give it a dry run when i get a new mirror. i know i got off cheap its good though because i've been accepting way too much risk in my daily riding
        i'll post again tommorow if its still making that sound
        yeha i found myself getting too comfortible on the bike. I have to put myself in time out once in a while.
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I had a fall once. With a hot chick on the back. Yeah, it is a bit embarassing.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I once dropped my previous Kat 1100 doing a slow U-turn. It was a 250 mile day and I guess heat and fatigue got the best of me. No damage and she started right back up. I miss that bike sometimes!

Comment

sorry about the late post i was out of town but im back now, the bike runs as it did before the spill but the steering feels a bit off(it may just be me being paranoid to get a good lean) the forks are straight but does anyone know how to test the steering donut? (i think thats what they are called) als a peice fell off its not labelled in this microfiche:

but its the bar that connects both rearview mirror brackets together any thoughts would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X