X

Need some help with an oil filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with an oil filter

I bought a 2004 Katana 750 last month and plan to change my own oil. I buy most things on-line but cannot seem to find the correct oil filter. Can someone point me in the right direction. Anything unusual I should know about changing the oil on my Kat??

Well, you could go to your local Suzuki dealer and get p/n 16510-03G00-X07 or order several online at www.ronayers.com (to make it worth your while). Otherwise:

Fram #PH6018 (Not very good quality)
    STP SMO-18 (Autozone carries them, decent filter)
    Wix: 51359
    NAPA Gold 1359 (same Wix 51359)
    Amsoil: SMF109
    K&N: KN-138
    HiFlo Filtro HF138
    Bike Master 314-0025
    Champion PH7016
    Cycle Power 314-1919
    Emgo 10-55662
    Emgo 10-55660
    J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
    Per-Form J-509
    ProPart 01-0029
    Purolator ML16818
    VESRAH vsf-3009
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Check out:

Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha OEM motorcycle atv and side by side parts with a full line of aftermarket accessories.

If you decide that you want to go with Dennis Kirk you may want to give them a call. Their website does not list everything that they have. The catalog lists a K&N filter for the Kat, but the website does not.

There is nothing unusual about changing the oil. Just make sure that you have a long funnel for refilling and the right filter wrench.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

tim

Comment

Out of all the oil filters I've had apart, the Suzuki OEM one is the best to date... I highly recommend no one use the FRAM in any case.

KNOW THIS: The Suzuki OEM filter is the only one rated to go three oil changes

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

FUN FACT: I recommend not reusing your filters. Or your oil...
              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

hhhmmm, why ever would you say that?

Comment

I like my scotts. Kinda pricey. But hay. one filter and just clean and reuse it.
                  Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                  6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                  5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Cyber, do you use filters for more than one oil change? I have never considered doing that. It just doesn't feel right. Filters are pretty cheap, aren't they?
                    Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

i use k*n but i think im gonna be getting some napa gold's but the napa where ilive, they dont carry napa gold's WHY because they are FRICKEN IDIOTS lol but yea no fram bad for bike BUT good for car!

Comment

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Originally posted by SoloScott
                        Cyber, do you use filters for more than one oil change? I have never considered doing that. It just doesn't feel right. Filters are pretty cheap, aren't they?
                        While I could argue (validly) that the filter's efficiency actually improves as it gets partially clogged, that's irrelevant. The answer is yes and no. If I'm at home, I change the filter whenever I change the oil (even the OEM filter is cheap enough in my mind, and I have never had a problem paying more for a better filter or better oil).
                        On the other hand, if I'm off touring and need to do an oil change, I just change the oil and leave the filter. Since I use the Suzuki OEM (Toyo Roki) filters, I know the filter is still good. Now that I've got the oil drain valve installed, this field-oil-change process has gotten even easier
                        That said, I know a LOT of Europeans who follow that 3rd oil change interval rule on anything they drive if it's rated for it, including their cars, their motorcycles, etc, and who have done so for the past 15 years or so (when the concept was originally introduced -- that it was cheaper to build a better filter than it was to recycle used ones more often in countries with mandatory 100% recycling programs).

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ordered some oil filters from Dennis Kirk. Got the Emgo. Changed the oil and filter yesterday. It was a snap. Just remember not to over-tourqe the oil drain bolt, or else your gona say some swear words.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Out of all the oil filters I've had apart, the Suzuki OEM one is the best to date... I highly recommend no one use the FRAM in any case.
                            Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            i won't say this is an old myth but based on old data. i've used fram motorcycle filters & cut the last one i used open. I found the construction to be just fine. the complaint most people had was the use of cardboard endcaps. the endcaps are used to glue the pleated filter into a rigid circle form & keep the filtered/unfiltered oil apart. say what you will about it but the motorcycle filter uses different construction. or maybe they updated all of them. the recall on some filters jan-march 1995 was a thread cut problem & i think i read somewhere about a crimp problem but have yet to read a published recall on the endcaps.

heres a picture to save you all from cutting one open

tim
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                              Got the Emgo.
                              I haven't cut open one of the Emgo oil filters yet, but I did look at the Emgo air filter (which looks visually identical to the OEM air filter -- but it much more pourous -- one of the KP members had a problem where his bike went too lean after installing one in a stock Kat)...

Originally posted by trinc
                              i won't say this is an old myth but based on old data. i've used fram motorcycle filters & cut the last one i used open. I found the construction to be just fine. the complaint most people had was the use of cardboard endcaps. the endcaps are used to glue the pleated filter into a rigid circle form & keep the filtered/unfiltered oil apart. say what you will about it but the motorcycle filter uses different construction. or maybe they updated all of them. the recall on some filters jan-march 1995 was a thread cut problem & i think i read somewhere about a crimp problem but have yet to read a published recall on the endcaps.
                              Rider Magazine's Mechanic's section noted (about three years ago) the problem with the Fram filter used on a GoldWing, where the glue itself disolved under the hot oil and moved into the block (and subsequently resolidified when the engine cooled off overnight). Gold wings run substancially cooler than Katana's because the Wings are water-cooled. That was about the same time as I cut open a Fram filter... I can't say whether Fram has changed their construction techniques since... but I won't be trusting one either way.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X