X

Yoshi Exhaust dismantle = D&D loudness How-to

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoshi Exhaust dismantle = D&D loudness How-to

A bunch of carbon on what looks to be voodoo doll hair. This was an easy project...."You too can have a loud exhaust for cheap" Not responsable for damage done to bike or exhaust as a result of following these directions.....I am just helping us save money.

Tools: Electric drill, 3/16" drill bit, rubber mallet, patience, 3/16" rivet with 1/4" depth, rivet gun, 12mm wrench, 12mm deep well and ratchet

1. Remove slip-on RS-3 not loud enough exhaust using the 12mm wrench and ratchet/socket. There are 3 locations to loosen/remove. The hanger strap, the alignment mount (mid) and the exhaust collector strap (lowest)

2. Drill out all rivets at one end.......I think it was easier to do the lower one that attaches at the mid-pipe.

3. Seperate the canister from the resonator that is till attached at the mid-pipe (attached by one rivet). Have another person help ya. This is a pain because the fierglass is packed in pretty tight around the canister, and sandwiched between them is the birds nest of wire. Be ready to pull hard. If you are doing this alone, use the mallet on the lower mounts to seperate the two pieces.

4. Reassemble(sp) mid-pipe into the header collector, slide on the exhaust canister, hold the exhaust and start the bike....this will allow some carbon/wire/rivet junk/fiberglass to blow out before you reassemble. Listen to the new sound of your louder, more toned exhaust. If you dont like it, just put it all back together....but dont forget the single rivet holding the resonator in place.(only needed to reassemle for lower db's)
    You choose weather you want to leave the fiberglass around the canister. I chose to leave it because it should keep the canister from heating up excesively on the passengers ankle.

5. Remove exhaust from bike, reassemble on ground (use the mallet if neede), align the open holes in the mid-pipe and canister and pop-rivet that sucker back together.

6. Reinstall the new exhaust as in step 4 and tighten down all 3 mounting points again.

VIOLA' you now have that loud sound many of us wanted, but didn't get from the Yoshi. If you have any questions PM me or e-mail me. I thought this would be kind of usefull to those that wanted a little more sound out of the Yoshi.
    My sig is boring.

Wait a minute . Did I read that right ? You just "unpacked" the exhaust to make it louder ? That's probably not very good for the engine ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I removed the resonator. I left the fiberglass around the canister. It can't be any worse than a D&D...the only way I can see that they are so loud is that they use a resonator with no fiberglass......

As of yet bike runs just as before.....save for some very small popping from high speed runs coming down to speed. I will let ya know if any problems arise.

I also wanted a louder set-up, but wasn't going to fork out more money, just to buy a D&D, so I made my own.
      My sig is boring.

Comment

Re: Yoshi Exhaust dismantle = D&D loudness How-to

Originally posted by KnightRider
        Your "pipe" appears to be discolored... you should get that checked out by a doctor.

Comment

So your Yosh was a street baffled unit, and you (in effect) made it a race baffle?
          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

When you told me you were going to do that at work the other day, i thought you were just joking...Thats awesome, YOU DA MAN ERIC!!

P.S. Its a good thing your "pipe" is that big becuase those flip-flops arent doin ya any justice...lol

Comment

Originally posted by KnightRider
              I removed the resonator. I left the fiberglass around the canister.
              So what is keeping the fiberglass in place?

Comment

u better be careful, I dont think they make protection THAT big !

Comment

LOL thanks guys. I love the sound of it. At idle its amazingly toned.......when on it you know its there......when cruising its still damn loud. JUST WHAT I WANTED! Horray for me.
                  My sig is boring.

Comment

yea sweet......but WHATS KEEPING THE PACKING IN THE PIPE?
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    Lean in Lean out.
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well, when I tried to remove the fiberglass...it seemed that it was adhered to the can......(could have just been from the heat). If worse comes to worse, I will just drill it out again and remove it. Its been in for 2 days now and I have put about 600 miles on it with no ill effects.
                      My sig is boring.

Comment

The packing is sometimes held in place with wire . You can use masking tape too , but it'll burn off after a little while (that's the way I did it) . And when I took the old packing out , it pretty much held it's shape . It was all crusty . Okay , I thought you basically gutted the whole thing . Guess that's not so bad then .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X