X

Motorcycle oil used in a car?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle oil used in a car?

I have read Cyber Poet advise us about the benefits of using motorcycle specific oils in our motorcycles (Thanks Cyber!). If it stands up that well to the harsh environment in a bike engine, would there be a protection advantage to using it in our cars?? Cyber?
    Ride like your life depends on it.

I know Cyber will reply anyways...but I was always told, you can use good car oil in your bike, but not the other way around, as motorcycle oils also double as tranny lube, so some may have added friction modifiers that would be a no no for your car. But we'll let Marc clarify.

Comment

Harley Davidson oil should be fine if you use the right viscosity. Harley oil only lubes the crankcase, not the tranny or clutch.
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

I've personally used MC oils in cars, mostly for racing... I also know of many individuals who do it just before selling a car to quiet down the lifters, cams, etc. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it in general. Naturally, there is an exception to any rule -- in this case, if the car is built post 2000 and is designed to work specifically with a light-oil (such as an 10w30 SJ or straight 15w SL rated oils).

Unlike pouring Coke or Pepsi into an automatic tranny to make failing clutches stickier for a short period of time (which is just wrong all of the time!)

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid
          Harley Davidson oil should be fine if you use the right viscosity. Harley oil only lubes the crankcase, not the tranny or clutch.
          Or the ground, in most cases , sorry slim, couldn't resist that one

Comment

That reminds me of a great practical joke! Ever pour a dab of oil under your buddy's motorcycle when he wasn't looking?
            '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

That reminds me of a great practical joke! Ever pour a dab of oil under your buddy's motorcycle when he wasn't looking?
              Remind me never to be your "buddy"...

=-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Lol
                I know my dad sometimes uses the old oil from oil changes where the bike hasn't run much, in his ancient mazda 626(which has done a couple hundred K km) and it's a bit thirsty when it comes to oil
                So performance advantages i can't speak of, but it deffinatly dosn't seem to hurt the car either
                -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

What , is that bad to have oil under your bike ?
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X