X

overheating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

is there anything i can do to my 98 katana to help it from overheating while at bike week

Stay back a ways from other bikes..........(keeps your engien from getting all the bike in front of you's exhaust heat)......

Park it and watch, (you can't really get anywhere very fast anyway, can you?)..........

Shut if off if you're sittin still for a while.................
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Use higher weight oil -- if you would normally run 10w40, consider using 20w50 instead (or mixing in half 20w50). Make sure your oil is topped up -- more oil means a bigger heat sink. Use a good quality, JASO-MA rated motor oil -- it will deal with the heat better without letting your engine get damaged due to loss of HTHS (high temp, high shear) viscosity nearly as fast. Plus all the good advice from SpecialK.

I've ridden mine around Daytona BikeWeek when traffic was at a crawl for miles on end and the temp (not this year, but some previous years) was in the high 80's and low 90's... never had an issue with good oil.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i use the suzuki 10w40 oil from the dealer is tht good oil or should i change it

Comment

Originally posted by 93katana
          i use the suzuki 10w40 oil from the dealer is tht good oil or should i change it
          Suzuki recently changed the formulation of their house-branded motor oil to be API SL rated. This rating is not suitable for the Katana motor because of the lower ZDDP package (if you visit the API's website, you'll find that SL rating is applicable to Automobile engines only for this reason). I would suggest you move to any JASO-MA rated plus API SF/SG or SH rated motorcycle motor oil. That gives you a wide range of options, including:

Castrol ACT/Evo 10w40
          Castrol GPS 10W40 & 20w50
          Mobil 1 MT4X 10w40
          Mobil 1 VTwin 20w50
          Royal Purple CycleMax 10w40 & 20w50
          Valvoline ATV 10w40
          Valvoline Motorcycle 20w50
          Motul 3000 4T 20w50
          Amsoil AMV Motorcycle Engine Oil 20W50
          plus others...

You may also want to read this thread:
          http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7031