X

missing out! i need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing out! i need help

i am new here and i have a problem with my kat. its a 1994 gsx-750. i took it to a mechanic about 3 weeks a go and had them do a tune up and sync the carbs. it ran good for a while but then i after a couple of weeks the rpms fluxuates at idle and dosn't seem to be hitting on all the cylinders all the time. so i changed the plugs in the bike thinking that i may have fouled a plug by some weird chance and then it ran good for a while longer but it is now starting to do the same thing. something elsei noticed is that when i got it back the idel speed dosnt adjust very well, not like it used to. i turn the screw and it just dosn't seem to do very much. if any body has any advice or tips that would be great.

double check all your vacuum caps, choke cable, and all vacuum lines before you go any farther.

Comment

i have done thatl. as a matter of fact i put a new choke cable on it about a month and a half ago and the caps are intact .

Comment

Clogged/fouled carbs or bad carb settings for whatever set-up you have... If the plugs are fouling repeatedly, this is why. The question then is whether (A) the mechanic didn't tune it well (he probably did, but you can never be 100% sure), or (B) if there is something else causing it to foul (such as rust in the gas tank getting into the carbs, or dried/old fuel from not running often enough, etc).

Need more info. How many miles since the mechanic worked on it? Is it acting healthy when the plugs are all new -- and for how long? Did the mechanic run it on a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

its prolly only been 500 mile if that since he workded on it. yea it acts healthy when i chage the plugs but i am still not able to adjust the idle like i should be able to. and another thing when i put on my choke when its cold it is not making the bike rev up like it should. it dose help it start a lil bit but ive ridden other cats that if you have the choke full on it will idle the bike up to like 5 grand, mine is lucky to hit 2.5 on full choke. when i replace the plugs it runs good for a tank or two and then i notice a drop off in performance. i dont know what the mechanic did but i don't think he put it on a dyno. he may have though. do you think i should talk to the mechanic and see if he will help me out or has it been too many miles.

Comment

Also.............what did the plugs you pulled out look like?

Here's a link to a good plug site:
            EXCELLENT SPARK PLUG INFO

Sure sounds to me like he did not get the carbs fully set -up correctly.

I'd specifically ask him if he removed the air/fuel mix screws and cleaned out those ports.............a common problem most guys miss..........

Also, check that tank and change that fuel filter. What do you see in the filter? Gunk?
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
              Also, check that tank and change that fuel filter. What do you see in the filter? Gunk?
              If you do find rust in the tank, here's the route to go:

CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com -- We now carry 400 Degree motorcycle-duty all-weather oil temp gauges & senders!

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i belive it lies in the carbs, im having the same issue but my issue is because i dont have a jet kit with a full exhaust. but coming arround to the same issue, where the bike idols high,
                even after you adjust the idol down,
                i belive that your carbs are not synched correctly,
                or fell out of sync after you riding, or when he synched the carbs he didnt let the bike fully warm up then synch them.

I belive your carbs are out of wack. but IMHO i would also check everything cyber says 1st. this is just my opinion.

im guessing if your fouling plugs its because your float height is off/AF mix, the whole shabang. meaning your carbs are not synched right.

Cyber?
                ------------------------------------------------------
                Lean in Lean out.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X