'95 Carb troubles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Carb troubles?

Hello.

I have an issue with my '95 katana carbs. Seems that there are two small feeder pipes on the back of the central carbs that broke, and while I've managed to seal them up mostly with epoxy (welding didn't work- they melted too quickly), my bike still behaves erratically at idle. I THINK this is the issue. What I tend to notice is that when it's very hot outside, my idle will die down to almost nothing, to the point where I have to hold the throttle just open at traffic lights to keep it from stalling, and when I raise the idle screw, nothing happens for a bit and then suddenly it jumps to 4k. When it cools down, the epoxy seems to harden up a bit more and the idle will behave mostly normally, though a few times after heavy riding I have had the idle suddenly freak out and stick at upwards of 6 or 7k, and had to turn the bike off, twist the idle screw out hard, and wait for it to cool, though this has only happened twice so far (two times too many for something bizarre like that in my opinion).

Some other things that might make a difference- I installed gsxr750 cams, a factory pro stage 1 kit, and a K&N filter recently (the idle issues were happening BEFORE all of this, however, so I don't think they had anything to do with it). The bike runs beautifully otherwise- midrange and top end power is strong and I don't have any flat spots or hesitation, and the throttle rolls on pretty smooth.

I'm pretty sure the broken pipes are the issue, but I don't even know what the heck they are, or if there could be something else to look for. IF that is the case, I need a new set of carbs, anybody know where I can get some? I'll send the old ones to someone if they want to try and rebuild 'em.

Thanks!-
    wetz.

well, I'd be happy to rebuild your carbs for you, but I have no idea what tubes your talking about

Comment

He's not talking about the plastic overflow tubes??
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I'd hope he didn't try to weld those.

Comment

Some people call melting plastic "welding". I don't think any of that cast aluminum is weldable actually.
          Last edited by kevin2502000; 07-20-2008, 11:35 PM.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

yeah it is, you can tig weld that. I've done it

Comment

yes, just like with metal, melting two pieces of plastic together with a filler rod is called welding. as with metals, some plastics weld better than others. many a $1200 urathane bumper cover, or spendy grill has been plastic welded good as new for a fraction of the cost. if you really think about it, the gluing process for plastic plumbing pipe is a chemical "welding" process so to speak too as it basicly "melts" the two surfaces and fuses them together.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

This forum is awesome. Yes you can weld plastic but they aren't plastic.

I snagged this photo off factory pro's site and highlighted the pipe I'm talking about. Of course, the pic only shows one carb, and I'm pretty sure these aren't katana carbs, but they are mikuni, and you can see one half of the pipe, and it's in the same place on mine (if I remember correctly).

Comment

those ARE Katana carbs, they are 98+ BSR carbs, they are cali model carbs also. That metal tube can not be replaced, you need new carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wetzelskid View Post
                    This forum is awesome. Yes you can weld plastic but they aren't plastic.

I snagged this photo off factory pro's site and highlighted the pipe I'm talking about. Of course, the pic only shows one carb, and I'm pretty sure these aren't katana carbs, but they are mikuni, and you can see one half of the pipe, and it's in the same place on mine (if I remember correctly).

All I see is a red x for the image.

Repost the image if you can.

Tmod

Comment

Yeah, that's what I feared arsenic. What is it, by the way?

Tmod, the original- w/o my highlight

(it's the shiny pipe just northeast of the mixture screw, running into the top of the picture)

SO I guess the next question is... anybody have some katana carbs they can sell me?

Comment

PM steves

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I got in touch with him but he only has 88's in stock, wrong size.

Anybody else that might have some for my bike? (can't even post a WTB without 50 posts darnit)

Comment

Originally posted by Wetzelskid View Post
                            Yeah, that's what I feared arsenic. What is it, by the way?

Tmod, the original- w/o my highlight

(it's the shiny pipe just northeast of the mixture screw, running into the top of the picture)

SO I guess the next question is... anybody have some katana carbs they can sell me?
                            Do you have any machinist friends? Have them make you one and JB weld it in place.

You should have tried soldering it instead of welding it, cooler temp.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                            X